Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Query vm.totalStorageSize not working

Jump to solution

Good morning/afternoon SW Junkies,

I am having the following issue

both vm.totalStorageSize and vm.totalStorageSizetotal query do not work on my Virtualization Manager, zero bytes reported , for the dashboard (pre canned Storage Dashboard) or data export

I am running the latest product version / VApp

The domain account im using is the same for both Storage Manager and Virtualization manager, STM seems to be working fine

What level of permissions does this account need on Vcenter Server (5.5)

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

We are currently working on our side to fully support vCSA but unfortunately its not officially supported yet.  We are looking at it and we are in the process of doing internal validation but it is still ongoing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Level 13

VMAN 6.2 is now GA which offers support for environments using the vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA).

0 Kudos
Level 10

Thank you everyone, I have confirmed with tech support that this will be addressed hopefully in the near future

Cheers

0 Kudos
Level 13

Are you using vCSA for your vCenter instance?

0 Kudos

That would be correct, latest version as well

0 Kudos

We are currently working on our side to fully support vCSA but unfortunately its not officially supported yet.  We are looking at it and we are in the process of doing internal validation but it is still ongoing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thank you , is there any slated timeline for this tested/validation , I am sure that alot of your customers will go the vCSA route eventually or in the future..

Cheers

0 Kudos

For vCSA the current version of VMAN (6.1.1) doesn't collect vm.totalStorageSize and vm.totalStorageSizeUsed values, because the VMWare API of the vCSA doesn't return any value for the requests.

0 Kudos

We are having this problem in our environment as well. Running the latest version of VMAN and vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA). I am told this will be fixed in the next version of VMAN 6.2

0 Kudos

Hey leslieb9, that is correct.  We have added VCSA support in VMAN 6.2 which will be having a Beta 3 released soon to all VMAN customers currently on maintenance.

0 Kudos
Level 17

It should be just datastore browse privilege - same as what is required for STM.  Do you see data for vm.volSummary.capacity ?

0 Kudos

vm.volSummary.capacity , this query reports data just fine, in the export and in the dashboard

0 Kudos

That's odd. It looks some VMan is unable to fetch a specific API object(s). I plead ignorance.

0 Kudos

hrrmmm

Whats the difference for vm.totalStorageSizeUsed versus

vm.volSummary.capacity

thanks for all the help btw

0 Kudos

If you click on advanced search button on top and search for any part of the attribute string, you can see the description for the matching attributes. Vm.volsummary I believe is a derived attribute from the sizes of the individual volumes on that VM. As per the description, vm.totalstorage.. one is the total size used across all datastores. I'm not sure how exactly it is derived or queried. Vm.vol info definitely requires datastore browse access.

0 Kudos

Yup browse datastore is enabled for this user, my storage manager doesnt seem to have any issues

0 Kudos