This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Poor-mans VMAN Auto Manage Nodes without VMAN

We have Orion, but do not have the vMAN license. We are wondering if anyone has come up with a way to auto-manage nodes without vMAN.

Anyone done this? Have any tips, hints, tricks?

• One possible route you could take would be to develop scripts using PowerCLI​, you could then integrate the scripts you've written into alert actions. Unfortunately, as far as building in that functionality into the web console outside of various alert actions, I don't this would be possible.

• Hello.

Do you have NPM or SAM in use? If so you should be able to see lots of hypervisor info without the paid VMAN: Monitor virtual infrastructure

Best regards,

Steffen

• I guess I should put it out there, just to set the correct expectation, VMAN doesn't have any "auto manage all VM's as nodes" feature anyway.  It does collect a baseline set of stats about all vm's that includes cpu load, memory used, and network used but it does not turn them into SAM/NPM nodes unless you click a button on each individual VM to do so.  You could take the list of all VM's that are not being monitored as nodes and use that to make a discovery, but you can do that with the basic virtualization monitoring that is part of the core platform, with or without VMAN that part is the same.