This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

No VM search in Virtualization Summary page

We have Virtualization Manager 8.1 in Orion. No separate appliance. There doesn't appear to be a way to search for a VM on the Summary page. If I don't know what host a VM is on it can be a long process to find.  Is there someway to do this?

• Manage nodes under settings> manage nodes.

Or on the home page there is a search option unless its been removed. I assume you have npm as well?

• This was one of the very first SWQL queries i taught myself because it was such an obvious gap.

Add a custom query resource to your view, edit it and paste this code in.  Then check the box for search and paste the same thing into that, but remove the comment marks from the last line.

select vm.displayname AS vSphereName, vm.detailsurl as [_LinkFor_vSphereName], vm.ipaddress AS IP,  vm.detailsurl as [_LinkFor_IP], h.hostname as ESXiHost,  h.detailsurl as [_LinkFor_ESXiHost], vm.processorcount AS CPUCount, vm.memoryconfigured / 1048576 as Memory_MB ,vm.powerstate as PowerState
    ,case
    when vm.powerstate = 'poweredon' then '/orion/vim/images/statusicons/small-VMware-vm-up.gif'
    when vm.powerstate = 'poweredoff' then '/orion/vim/images/statusicons/small-VMware-vm-shutdown.png'
    end as [_iconfor_PowerState]

from orion.vim.virtualmachines vm
    join orion.vim.hosts h on h.hostid=vm.hostid

--where vSphereName like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%' or IP like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%' or ESXiHost like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%' or vm.guestdnsname like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%'

pastedImage_0.png

• Hello,

there is search bar in the main menu:

search.png

but unfortunately it's searching only in nodes, not Virtualization entities.

Searching also in Virtualization entities is in VIM workmap, but I cannot guarantee when it will be released.

Best way how to make it works is to use custom resource mentioned by mesverrum one post above.

• Awesome. That works. Thank You!

• I've tried this and everything in the table shows up except the search bar and icon. perhaps I'm missing some steps here. New to custom SQL

• When you use the custom query resource there is a check box for enabling search, paste the same query into the box that it creates and remove the comment marks from the last line.

• I did a custom query resource, and the VM's and table display correctly. When searching I receive an error  "There was an error processing the request." no matter what I search for.  Does anyone know the default location for logs to further troubleshoot?

• show screenshot of your your custom swql

• You need to put the entire query into that second box, its really running two completely separate things.  I sometimes write custom queries with high level info on the initial screen and then if you search any of the values it gives you a different, more detailed set of data based on the search filter.