This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Moving off the appliance

When moving off the appliance and into the integrated version of VMAN in Orion can you move your custom dashboards from the appliance?  I have one that lists all the running vm's by OS version.  Each widget is a different OS version in our environment.

• There isn't any kind of 1 to 1 transfer but almost everything that I've seen in the VMAN appliance could have a rough equivalent in an Orion dashboard widget, but many of them will have to be custom tables or custom charts.

• lanadmingeek  wrote:

When moving off the appliance and into the integrated version of VMAN in Orion can you move your custom dashboards from the appliance?  I have one that lists all the running vm's by OS version.  Each widget is a different OS version in our environment.

Marc is absolutely right there is no migration of custom dashboards off the appliance. What view in particular were you looking to recreate?

• This is the view I want to recreate.CustomDashboardView.JPG

• lanadmingeek  wrote:

This is the view I want to recreate.CustomDashboardView.JPG

Hi Jim!

Here's one way to utilize a new resource called the custom tile widget to get the powered on VM count data on your custom dashboards.

First create a group. My virtual environment has more 2012, so the example below will be based on 2012 vms

pastedImage_7.png

In the second step, one option is just selecting a set of VMs based on their state which is a very static grouping. I would only recommend you do this if you are looking to build a group on a specific set of items, rather than items that are changing state. For your powered on case, I'd recommend creating a dynamic query based group. Click "Add Dynamic Query"

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_6.png

one trick that you can use if you're not sure what values to build your query on, is using the Orion SWIS query page. This will allow you to do a quick sanity check on swis entities without having to install the SWQL tools. <ipaddress>//Orion/Admin/swis.aspx I generated a virtual machine query using the tool to check what the GuesName values would look like

pastedImage_8.png

So I've created my powered On windows 2012 group

pastedImage_9.png

clicking into this, this gives you some nice default items that you can work with including: the last 25 group events that are associated with these vms

pastedImage_11.pngand a quick list of all the poweredOn 2012 VMs

pastedImage_12.png

You can also utilize a few other widgets here to display interesting data about this group;

The custom tile widget will give you counts, status and all associated active alerts (simply search for "Custom" in the widget drawer to find these widgets)

pastedImage_14.pngpastedImage_13.png