Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Monitoring C drive on VDI Machine's without Monitoring the guest

Jump to solution

Hi All,

We have well over 2000 VDI's and noticed a VDI will fail if thie C drive gets filled up.

We have VMAN, SRM, SAM, NPM, NCM and NTA

Does anyone know anyway we can get the disk information without monitoring the VDI through WMI. I really don't want 2000 + Windows PC's in Solarwinds to keeping going up and down and chopping and changes as users log into VDI.

Is there any other way through, vSphere events or ESXI etc to get this? Maybe even getting a windows build to forward an event to vCentre or Solarwinds when the C is nearly full? I just really don't want to have individual VDI Guests in monitoring.

Many Thanks,

Grant

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

So when you click onto an unmonitored VM it doesn't have a storage tab with info like this?

pastedImage_0.png

I don't recall exactly where this data ends up in the DB, but it should definitely be collected for unmonitored virtual machines.  If you don't have it then there's probably some kind of problem with vman or it's settings.

- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post

6 Replies

do you have vman?  if so its already collecting the disk capacity stats for every vm and there is an ootb alert that should cover full disks.  IIRC that alert just writes to the event log and doesnt send an email so you could change that

Hi,

I have read that but when I checked the DB I couldn't find any volume metric for the VM's. only for the hosts. I looked at Virtualmachinevolumes and couldn't see anything in there. Only VM's I'm physically monitoring. I have all vCentre's managed by VMAN, just almost none of the VM's monitored as it creates way to much of a headache. Any idea's?

0 Kudos

grantallenby,

We also limit monitoring to vCenter and ESXi hosts in our VDI environment.  We use the following alert trigger conditions to warn of low disk space (all virtual desktops have only a C: drive).

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks mesverrum​ and sfleagle​ after 6 years of using Solarwinds products I've just realised I'm blind as a bat Mega Face palm

If you have more than one drive, you will have problems with the out of the box alert.  It is percent free across all volumes.  So if c: is 100% full, but d: is only 50% full, it won't trigger.  I created a custom alert and put the idea for voting to have an OOB alert like the old appliance VMAN did here -

So when you click onto an unmonitored VM it doesn't have a storage tab with info like this?

pastedImage_0.png

I don't recall exactly where this data ends up in the DB, but it should definitely be collected for unmonitored virtual machines.  If you don't have it then there's probably some kind of problem with vman or it's settings.

View solution in original post