cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 8

Making Widget out of Alert?

So we just spun up VMan and there are a bunch of alerts for Guest Storage Space Utilization. What I would like to do is make a Widget for this that lists these VMs and the percent free with the volume - like how you see it when you actually click on the link. Is this possible to do? I can't seem to figure out how to get this done.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Making Widget out of Alert?

Hello,

such widget already exists in VMAN. Search for "Top-N: VM Disk >95% Full" widget in "Administrator VMware" dashboard:

pastedImage_2.png

Is this what you are looking for?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Ah, yes. I missed that. Is there a way to sort it by the drive (free%) instead of est. depletion. I don't have any use for that column really.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Level 8

Also is there a way to exclude a certain drive letter from the alerts/monitoring?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Hello,

1) Sorting

you can sort list of VMs by any attribute you can find in Attritube list ("Edit widget" -> "Query" tab, "Pick sort field..." menu):

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

The most similar attributes are vm.volSummary.freeSpacePercentage (average free space across all disks) or vm.vol.freeSpacePercentage (free space of all disk volumes). It's not possible to show just free space of particular disk volumes in the widget.

2) Excluding particular drives

in alerts you can skip particular disk drives (unable to do that in widgets). Such issue was already discussed at Re: Skip certain volume label or drive letter in the Guest Storage Space Utilization script or Re: Re: How can I exclude a volume from alerting about low disk space? Thwack threads.

If you need to exclude particular disks on particular virtual machines then  you can use something like that (this xPath excludes C:\ mount point on "tex-2k8-2LUNS" virtual machine and /boot mount point on "Analytics VM" virtual machine):

if (/virtualMachine[name="tex-2k8-2LUNS"])

then min(/virtualMachine/diskVolume[mountPoint != "C:\"]/freeSpacePercentage)

else if (/virtualMachine[name="Analytics VM"])

then min(/virtualMachine/diskVolume[mountPoint != "/boot"]/freeSpacePercentage)

else min(/virtualMachine/diskVolume/freeSpacePercentage)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

0 Kudos