This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Licensing VMs

I would like to know if it is possible to not monitor a select group of Virtual machines as far as a licensing perspective. We have a group of 30 VM's that we don't want Virtualization Manager to look at in any way. They are in a seperate folder and are on a seperate group of hosts. I tried giving the account that we use no access to both the folder and the hosts but it still sees them.

• Per my understanding from past questions about this, VMan does not currently have an "exclude" option, though many of us would like that. In my case, I have a set of 30+ VMs which are cold and restored from time to time as part of our disaster recovery plan, but they pushed us over the license threshold so we had to upgrade (which wasn't the end of the world since we expect future growth).

'Wish I had better news, but as of right now, the only way to keep those VMs rolling would be to spin them off to independent ESX hosts or an alternate vCenter server (which obviously defeats other cost/mgmt reasons).

Thanks/sorry,

Chris

• Ok thanks Chris. Support told me that if I create a new account and grant that account access to everything except the folder with the machines we don’t want to monitor that would work

Tony