This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hyper-V Host CPU performance

In reviewing our Hyper-v Cluster Host CPU performance I am seeing 80+ percent plus utilization for some hosts.  But when I drill into each of the individual CPUs for the host it is showing one at 35% and all others well below that.

Where is Solarwinds collecting the data from?

• Is the issue sustained? i.e. Are you seeing 80% as a sustained value in the VMAN interface or is it more a brief point in time? I ask because VMAN is polling on an interval basis, it is not real time so it is possible that the 80% was registered during a polling cycle but then quickly returned lower and then you looked at the value directly on the host machine prior to the next poll so it would appear that they are not in sync with one another. That is just a hypothesis though. If that is not the case feel free to add more detail and we can keep digging in to the question further.

• This is a sustained value and it matches the values shown within our Microsoft SCVMM console, the lower value is reflective of the host value from what I have found.  I now wonder where you would manage the thresholds for this high value related to SCVMM counters for each host.

Thanks,

• If you hover over the node in the summary widget, do the values in the pop over menu come closer to matching the reality on the individual host? (screen shot below for better illustration of where I am asking you to look)

jvb_0-1587585515279.png

• Here is the CPU Load view from the Node as you suggested

eswilliams96_2-1587590463922.png

Here is the CPU LOAD higher value from the cluster view:

eswilliams96_3-1587590674779.png

Can you tell me where SW is getting the data from?

• The data is coming from standard WMI queries but I believe what you are seeing is related to a known issue where underlying usage of the CPU is calculated / displayed incorrectly. It might be a good idea at this point to log a ticket so we can properly link this to the known issue or the team may be able to find a different resolution if it turns out to be something other than the known issue. 

• I am now working with the team who has direct contacts within Solarwinds to address the concern.

Thanks!