This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hardware Monitoring using SAM

Hi All,

In our environment we had been polling hardware data from Vcenter into SAM(6.4) using CIM protocol. But as we've upgraded SAM to 6.6, we couldn't find the option in the Virtualization setting to poll via vcenter or via ESX Directly. Instead now we are getting poling method options as VMAN Orion and VMAN Appliance. Why is that so?

pastedImage_0.png

These changes have effected the monitoring of ESXis.

What's the solution for this?

Many Thanks!

• Moved to the Virtualization Manager forum and summoning the great and powerful serena as this is likely the result of a change in VMAN. SAM/NPM include a VMAN light edition which shares the same bits as the full-fledged VMAN application.

• Thanks,

Do we have an article for the VMAN light edition instructions ?

I could see the VMAN under License Details in Orion Web Console. PFB its screenshot. What does this depicts? Is this the light version you are talking about ?

pastedImage_0.png

• Yes, that is the 'Light' version I was referring to earlier in the thread. The documentation for this functionality is already included in the SAM documentation. It is typically referred to as 'Integrated Virtual Infrastructure Monitor' or 'iVIM'.

• Hi aLTeReGo​,

Unfortunately, I Couldn't find anything related to iVIM in the admin guide.

Can you please refer again the screenshot in the problem statement, so as to see, why I am not getting options like 'direct ESX polling' ?

Thanks !

• amrita1690  wrote:

Hi All,

In our environment we had been polling hardware data from Vcenter into SAM(6.4) using CIM protocol. But as we've upgraded SAM to 6.6, we couldn't find the option in the Virtualization setting to poll via vcenter or via ESX Directly. Instead now we are getting poling method options as VMAN Orion and VMAN Appliance. Why is that so?

pastedImage_0.png

These changes have effected the monitoring of ESXis.

What's the solution for this?

Many Thanks!

The option are referring to the polling engine used, and is not related to whether you're polling against an ESX host or a vCenter. In fact, it looks to be that you're not using VMAN for your virtualization polling so that's why VMAN Orion & VMAN Appliance are greyed out. They are simply not applicable for your set up.

Have you tried using the add a node wizard for virtual entities and selecting "Standalone ESX" host?

pastedImage_2.png

You can access this wizard from the All Settings page

pastedImage_3.png

• Thanks serena​,

Does that mean that Hardware monitoring of ESXs is not possible without VMAN ? Can't we utilize VIM & SAM for this?

P.S. I don't have VMAN and have tried adding an ESX host from below interface,but failed to poll hardware data. Have also already raised a support case but that seems to be of no help as of now. emoticons_sad.png

pastedImage_0.png

• amrita1690  wrote:

Thanks serena ,

Does that mean that Hardware monitoring of ESXs is not possible without VMAN ? Can't we utilize VIM & SAM for this?

P.S. I don't have VMAN and have tried adding an ESX host from below interface,but failed to poll hardware data. Have also already raised a support case but that seems to be of no help as of now.

pastedImage_0.png

Try going through the add a node wizard, but do not select "virtual infrastructure" add this as a regular managed node and you'll be able to get the hardware health data. That is definitely available via SAM.

• Hi serena​,

I believe what you are referring to is what is shown below:

pastedImage_0.png

However, this is for Windows machine. The concerns and problem question I've posted is specifically for ESX servers.

I've still tried adding an ESX host as just a node with SNMP polling, but it didn't worked. Hardware health information is not something which is available just by SNMP here.

Can you please advise on this.

Thanks!

• amrita1690  wrote:

Hi serena ,

I believe what you are referring to is what is shown below:

pastedImage_0.png

However, this is for Windows machine. The concerns and problem question I've posted is specifically for ESX servers.

I've still tried adding an ESX host as just a node with SNMP polling, but it didn't worked. Hardware health information is not something which is available just by SNMP here.

Can you please advise on this.

Thanks!

You should be able to utilize SNMP for monitoring hardware health. A few documents for you here:

Asset inventory and hardware health monitoring requirements in SAM - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

pastedImage_5.png

It's possible that SNMP may be disabled for the host. Check to see that it's configured for the ESXi host.