This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ESXi polling with SAM/NPM least privelege

The only way I am able to get "VMWare Polling Settings" to return any data from the VMWare API is to use the root account for hosts run ESXi 5.  Is this wise?  Is there a least privelege guideline here?

How would one go about creating a separate user account, whether local or Active Directory to provide enough access to read relevant data?  I have followed the guidelines in the SAM manual such that VMWare Hardware monitoring is enabled and Port 5989 for CIM Secure Server is open, however no local account I create will pass the "Poll for VMWare" test.  Is this a situation where specific vmware role needs to be assigned in order to poll?  It is not sufficient to be in the root group.

• A little tinkering has answered my question:

In my case I created a local account called Monitor.  The UID does not matter.

I added Monitor to the root group with no shell access.  SSH is turned off in our environment anyway.

The issue is that when you create a new local account it has no role.  For solarwinds the role Read-Only is providing me all the data I need.

Do this via the vCLI.  This is the command:

vicfg-user.pl --server esxiserver.yourdomain.com --username root --protocol HTTPS --entity user --login Monitor --operation modify --role read-only