This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ESX Host with 6.7 version-- Help needed on multiple issues

Hi All,

Anyone with ESX on version 6.7 facing below issues:

Remote lockout issue for root account from Solarwinds?

Hardware sensors not working-- this is already identified as bug from VMware but just mentioning again here as i have one more doubt.

Now, we had passwords changed for most of the ESX servers in our environment so it had to be updated in Solarwinds as well. It was done and was working fine. Today we were informed by our technical team that for more than 20 hosts, they are getting the remote lockout issue for root account and the cause was the Solarwinds IP address. So we tried to remove the VMware Polling and gave 10-15 min time and then again re-enabled; strange thing to observe was that same password worked after disable/enable of Vmwar Poll.  So any way to find out what exactly went wrong?

Other help i need is- Is there any way to get an alert when the passwords have stopped working from Solarwinds for the ESX hosts?

serena​- Marking you incase you have seen similar issues or received anything via support ticket.. I am willing to open a ticket for my case but before doing that want to know if anyone here has come across same issue...

• I observed the same issue and Esxi are getting poll through the vCenter and we are missing the h/w alert, So we tried to use the direct polling with root permission, but on luck to get the complete h/w monitoing and also getting the root account locked issue.

So what i did, i use the ILO ip for all esix for h/w monitoring and now all host's h/w are getting monitor.

• Hi Krishna,

Yes m already doing that way since we got to know from VMWare that there is a bug in 6.7 version and there is no tentative date for the resolution.

But what i was trying to understand is that, Solarwinds was not able to authenticate with root creds and there was no way to know when it stopped.. We were informed by other team that there are logon failures happening...

And about monitoring via ILO, we would miss out on CPU and memory utilization monitoring right?

• Yes, You are correct, we are missing the cpu and memory, however one thing also observered that, yesterday one esxi have embedded battery issue and we did not get the alert for same, this is really very hactic to us, how we can monitor the h/w of esxi node.

Direct polling and Vcenter based polling of esxi is not working as expected, every time we are missing the h/w alert for esxi host. that why we use the ILO based polling but no luck for success with them ILO monitoring.

really ridiculous behavior of solarwind product.

• Hi Krishna,

Fault is not at Solarwinds this time... VMware has a bug in this version and they are yet to confirm on when this would be resolved.. We have our tech team who had raised a case with VMware regd this as they are also not able to see hardware sensor details in Vcenter...

• serena​ have you got more information from VMware on this?

• Was able to resolve the alert logic for polling failure of ESX hosts...

Worked with this condition:

pastedImage_0.png