This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Deploying single vMAN for multiple VCenter in multiple Data center location ?

Hi All,

I am managing multiple different Vcenter servers that run on its own data center like in the following setup:

Data Center 1:

PRODVCSA01-VA.domain1.com

VM: VCSA v6.5b

Data Center 2:

PRODVCENTER01.domain1.com

Physical: Windows Server 2008 R2 – VCenter 6.0 Update 1

Head Office 2:

HQVCENTER.company.com

VM: Windows Server 2008 R2 – VCenter 5.5 Update 3b

Do I need to deploy one SolarWinds Virtualization Manager Master Server Appliance per Vcenter  / Data Center site?

• You should only need one appliance, but multiple collectors.  The setup depends on your bandwidth.

Option 1:  You can deploy a collector at each location and have them collect the data and feed it to the main appliance.

Option 2:  The way we do it.  All of our collectors are in the same location, but are collecting data from all locations.

If you have multiple vCenters at a location, depending on the size of the vcenter, you could get away with using the same collector for each.  We are monitoring 9 vCenters at 3 different locations, but we are doing it with only 4 collectors and one appliance.

A discussion with a sales engineer would be helpful as they can look at your specific environment and give you a better answer of how you should architect it.

• Hi mprobus , I'm interested to use the Option #2.

So I can just deploy:

1x vMAN appliance and 3x collectors appliance in one single location but monitoring each of their respective locations.

would that be possible?

• Yes, that is completely possible.  You may not even need 3 collectors, but it's not an issue if that is how you want to break it out.

We have several vCenters of all different sizes.  Some of them complete the performance job in under a minute while my largest one takes about 6 mins.  So, if you have the bandwidth and the vCenters are small enough, you can run multiple collections using the same collector and not have to change the default 10 minute collection.  While there is no extra licensing cost for additional collectors, it's just another server you have to support.

• Great,

Thanks mate for the sharing and explanation.