This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Create an Alert for ESXi Host based on metrics that I see available in SolarWinds DB but doesn't exist withing the web interface

I need to create an alert for ESXi host that track the following metrics:

MinMemSwapIn

MaxMemSwapIn

AvgMemSwapIn

MinMemSwapOut

MaxMemSwapOut

AvgMemSwapOut

MinMemBallooning

MaxMemBallooning

AvgMemBallooning

MinMemPagesSwapRate

MaxMemPagesSwapRate

AvgMemPagesSwapRate

those metric exist in the following table: Orion.VIM.HostStatistics

I need your assistance in the creation of such alert. those metrics doesn't exist on the graphical interface of the SolarWinds.

But those metric does exist inside the SolarWinds Database.

I need your explicitly instructions what I need to type in the Alert setting in purpose to track those specific metrics which I specified above.

those metrics are relevant only for ESXi Host.

the ESXi host are being monitored by VMAN module of SolarWinds

also when Creating the Alert I would like to specify rule that will choose all ESXi Hosts that are being managed by specific vCenter Server and not All ESXi host that are being monitored by VMAN

• onemancrew  wrote:

MinMemSwapIn

MaxMemSwapIn

AvgMemSwapIn

MinMemSwapOut

MaxMemSwapOut

AvgMemSwapOut

MinMemBallooning

MaxMemBallooning

AvgMemBallooning

MinMemPagesSwapRate

MaxMemPagesSwapRate

AvgMemPagesSwapRate

I need your assistance in the creation of such alert. those metrics doesn't exist on the graphical interface of the SolarWinds.

I need your explicitly instructions what I need to type in the Alert setting in purpose to track those specific metrics which I specified above.

also when Creating the Alert I would like to specify rule that will choose all ESXi Hosts that are being managed by specific vCenter Server and not All ESXi host that are being monitored by VMAN

These are available through the graphical interface. If you take a look at PerfStack, you'll be able to easily see how to map these into your UI/

Step 1. Add the Virtual Host you're interested in tracking.

pastedImage_2.png

Step 2. Select the metrics (in your example they are all memory based) that you'd like to monitor and drag them to the PerfStack canvas. I've dragged over the average memory swap in and out (in your list AvgMemSwapIn &  AvgMemSwapOut)

pastedImage_3.png

• onemancrew  wrote:

MinMemSwapIn

MaxMemSwapIn

AvgMemSwapIn

MinMemSwapOut

MaxMemSwapOut

AvgMemSwapOut

MinMemBallooning

MaxMemBallooning

AvgMemBallooning

MinMemPagesSwapRate

MaxMemPagesSwapRate

AvgMemPagesSwapRate

by the way what is the alert you're trying to create? are you trying to be alerted when it crosses a threshold?

• Hello onemancrew and serena​,

Thing is we have those stats like memory swapping available but they are not part of the Orion alerting system. When you look at objects you can choose from when generating an alarm trigger condition then you can pick VM machine and host. So far so good, but the information you want is part of the object "HostStatistics". Might be a feature request?

pastedImage_0.png

Best regards,

Steffen

• Good call Steffen. Tracking the feature request internally under VIM-5943