cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Any way to force a VMWare host to use VMAN Orion polling?

Jump to solution

We have a 192-socket VMAN license. We ended up with more VMWare hosts than we anticipated and maxed out our license, which caused new VMWare hosts to be polled using basic polling. We have several standalone hosts (not monitored through a vCenter) that we switched from VMAN Orion polling to Basic polling, so we now have license sockets available. Has anyone found a way to force Solarwinds to switch a VMWare host from basic to VMAN Orion polling?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 13

I was able to manually change the polling method using SWQL Studio. Here's what I did:

1. Find the URI of the ESX host you want to change using this SWQL query:
    select URI from Orion.VIM.Hosts where HostName = '<the name of the ESX host>'
  2. In the Object Explorer, find Orion.VIM.Hosts.
  3. Right-click on Orion.VIM.Hosts and choose "Update" from the pop-up menu. This will open a new tab, "Update - Orion.VIM.Hosts"
  4. In the Value column of the SwisUri row, paste the ESX Host URI.
  5. In the Value column of the PollingSource row, enter either 0 (to switch to Basic polling) or 2 (to switch to VMAN Orion polling).
  6. Click the "Update" button.

If someone knows a better/safer/more reliable way to accomplish this, please let me know!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Level 13

I was able to manually change the polling method using SWQL Studio. Here's what I did:

1. Find the URI of the ESX host you want to change using this SWQL query:
    select URI from Orion.VIM.Hosts where HostName = '<the name of the ESX host>'
  2. In the Object Explorer, find Orion.VIM.Hosts.
  3. Right-click on Orion.VIM.Hosts and choose "Update" from the pop-up menu. This will open a new tab, "Update - Orion.VIM.Hosts"
  4. In the Value column of the SwisUri row, paste the ESX Host URI.
  5. In the Value column of the PollingSource row, enter either 0 (to switch to Basic polling) or 2 (to switch to VMAN Orion polling).
  6. Click the "Update" button.

If someone knows a better/safer/more reliable way to accomplish this, please let me know!

View solution in original post

Did you try just going to edit node (the VMware host), polling method, and choosing "VMware vCenter or Hyper-V devices"?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Level 13

I tried this with a couple of ESX hosts. The "VMWare vCenter or Hyper-V Devices" option is visible, but it's not selectable.

0 Kudos
Level 13

I believe so, without success. Happy to try again, though.

0 Kudos