This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What's the difference between UDT and Infoblox's end user device tracking capabilities?

I have Infoblox for DHCP/IPAM/DNS services, and I see there's a new module available that can discover and auto populate information showing the switch/blade/port for every device by MAC address and IP address.  That's exactly what my organization needs for expanding our CMDB.

But I see Solarwinds UDT seems to also be able to provide switch/blade/port for every MAC/IP address.

If you've used either solution, I'd LOVE to get your input about pro's & con's you've experienced.  If you can include sanitized screen shots showing your views, what you like with the product, what you don't like, that would be SO helpful.

I'm at the point of deciding between the new Infoblox module and adding on UDT, and the ability to export the switch/blade/port/MAC/IP address information into a CMDB will make the difference for which way to go.

Lay it on me, UDT and Infoblox users!  What do you love or hate or wish-for about either option?

• UDT has not had an update in over 2 years; I'm not sure I would use that to sway my opinion on the technical merits of one over the other but there are crickets on the UDT boards for the product.

What we are working on for UDT 3.3 (Updated on April 24, 2015)

There is a UDT 3.3 release candidate, but the download file is corrupt and I can't find any release notes on it to see if there are actually any new features in it.

(We needed VRF support for our juniper routers, because the ARP tables are partitioned by virtual routing instance and that does not work well with UDT. that is supposed to be in UDT 3.3)

I believe I've the largest install of UDT out there -- I would dearly like to hear from anyone who has more than 350,000 ports in their install.

I don't believe there is an API to control UDT, so if you have a large install you have to do everything through the UI.

I would be more unhappy about that, except my #1 issue is the lack of VRF ARP data polling which limits the useability of the product.

• Whoops!  DanielleH​, who's minding the store for UDT updates?

If this isn't a product that's on the front burner, NAM is suddenly much less interesting to me, since I need something that will discover which switch & port is associated with every IP address & MAC address, something that includes how long ports have been inactive, and which devices (including their DNS names) are attached to each port.

Infoblox has a product that will do it, but I'm hoping UDT can do it better by sharing that data into NPM's single pane of glass.  If not, Infoblox's Network Discovery module is very attractive.

What's the story?

• The Infoblox product is very good.  I actually like it much better than UDT as it has found many ports IP addresses UDT and has most of the features of NCM as well.

You can download a trial from Infoblox.

• Richard, I just picked up UDT. For what it's worth, I think it's a gem and I'll be working on getting the WWWO posting updated, and updating the product roadmap. I can't promise any timelines, but I'm taking an active look at the product and how people are using it.

joer

• I bought it with NAM last October, and it's saved me a lot of time and effort tracking devices to their end ports.  It also puts "mine-able" information in the Solarwinds Orion SQL database that our CMDB leverages for discovering impacts and dependencies.

Now if I could only get SA's and Security to approve giving UDT the appropriate rights to discover/record/track logins so we can find users who've used specific devices . . .   Politics!