This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

UDT : UDT and NPM IIS intergration.

I initially installed UDT on my NPM server and  decided to move UDT to a different because I was experiencing some unusual high CPU %.

Now, my NPM and UDT are on separate servers. The DB is also separate. Is there a way to have UDT show up under my NPM IIS?

I was under the assumption that since they are using the same DB that UDT will be available via NPM IIS.

• UDT and Orion NPM must be installed on the same server using the same database in order for you to have both on the same Website.

There is no integration to connect 2 application from a separate Installs or Databases.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to sean.martinez

Hi

Could you clarify whether it is possible to use the same database but on different servers ?

As my DB is a remote DB, but I would like to use a different server for the UDT install, will there be anintegration between NPM and UDP then

Thanks

James

• "UDT and Orion NPM must be installed on the same server using the same database" 

You could use seperate servers and seperate instances of SQL, but you will not be able to use one web address to access both. They will not integrate.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mcbridea

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I have one more question, I have read that you can install a UDT additional poller on another server, is that correct ?

This means that you could install UDT web aspect on the same server as NPM, but have the UDT polling engine on another server.

Thanks

James

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I'm pretty sure the UDT additional poller needs to be installed on a server running NPM additional poller.

• UDT can scale to about 150,000 ports by itself. The main reason most customers need to use the additional poller is because they are using one for their NPM deployment. The UDT additional poller is part of the Orion Additional Poller. This means if you already own the additional poller, the UDT additional poller is included as part of that package (no additional charge) - just download the latest version from the customer portal.

If you want an integrated experience, you should install NPM and UDT on the same servers and use the same database. If your NPM deployment uses additional pollers, then you should install UDT on the additional poller. If you have NPM nodes assigned to the additional poller and you want to poll ports on those nodes, you must install the UDT additional poller on the NPM additional poller server. 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mavturner

Hi Mav

It does not sound straight forward.

I have NPM on its own server and have deployed 2 additional pollers elsewhere on the other servers, so my managed nodes are not being polled from the NPM servers as I wanted this to be completely segregated.

So what you are saying is for every additional poller that you have deployed that is actually polling nodes you should install the UDT poller component there as well. This is just for polling the ports I assume.

Does that mean that UDT comes with a web aspect that can be installed on the NPM server, so you have the integration aspect tied down, but no polling of ports is done then from the UDT/NPM web server part.

Also I am running the 2011.1.0 version of the additional poller, do I need to upgrade to the 2011.1.1 version as this contains the new UDT poller component ?

Thanks in advance

James

• James,

I am sorry this is not straightforward.

Yes, the polling is linked. If NPM is polling the the node for CPU/Memory/Interface, UDT needs to be installed on the same polling engine to poll for Ports.

If you want them to be completely seperated on the back end, then the front end will be separated too. There is no way to combine just the web piece. If you do want to keep them seperated, then you probably don't need an additional UDT poller (since it can handle 150,000 ports on a single UDT server). However, this means the nodes (switches and routers) will be polled twice for basic status (CPU and Memory).

When you download the latest Orion Additional Poller, installing UDT will update core as required.

If this is still not clear, let's take this offline and have a brief phone conversation - I think that will clear the matter up quickly.

Mav 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mavturner

Hi Mav,

yes, I would like to chat about this offline, how do I get into contact.

Kind Regards

James

• How did you installation turn out? 

I have purchased UDT to add to my existing deployment of NPM and NCM and working on a plan to implement it.  Like stated in this post I am having difficulty understanding fully the product and how it integrates with NPM.  I have a primary NPM/NCM server, 3 additional NPM servers, and an additional Web server.  I want to make the implementation as seamless as possible, making it easy to give users access to both NPM and UDT or one or the other.