This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

UDT Ports Auto Unmonitor

We have an issue where if a particular switch goes offline (usually due to an ISP at a remote site, from a power outage, or sometimes even with the switch rebooting) the UDT system automatically marks those ports on that device as unmonitored.  When the device is polling again UDT doesn't automatically restore those ports as monitored.  Usually I will come across a switch and notice that the port information isn't appearing like it should and I will check the ports and they went unmonitored again.  Its easy enough to re-activate the monitoring.  It would be nice though if it didn't do this.  Is there a setting that manages this?  Is it based on a time frame of being offline?  Is there a way to send an alert when the UDT automatically unmonitors a port?

• So we still do not know why this is occurring.  But, we have been able to develop a SQL query that was turned into an Alert that at least notifies us when a port is no longer being monitored (or rather a switch with a port unmonitored).

• Hi lazyrabbit,

Solarwinds support confirmed the following to me

Why do ports become unmonitored ?

If a port/switch is unreachable in UDT for more than 3 Hours, it goes into an unmonitored state.
    (we have feature request open to extend this time )

Cause 
    This is by design!

There is a new option in the UDT Database.
    UDT settings table
    UDT.UnmonitorPortDelayHoursWhenNodeIsDownOrReboot

By default, this is 3 hours.
    If an end device is not reachable for this period, ports on this device will be shown as unmonitored.

Resolution

1. You can manually increase this period. For example, to set it to 10 hours:

UPDATE UDT_SETTING SET SettingValue=10 WHERE SettingName='UDT.UnmonitorPortDelayHoursWhenNodeIsDownOrReboot'

"Setting UDT.UnmonitorPortDelayHoursWhenNodeIsDownOrReboot to '0' will mean that the ports are not monitored.
    You can set the setting to a maximum of 256204776 hours, this equates to over 29,247 years"

There is a longer discussion on this topic here How might I change UDT so switches' unmonitored ports are monitored?

DATE: 16th November 2018

WARNING: ***** Do not set value to 256204776 **** Unknowingly to me, setting the value to  256204776 actually broke my UDT. Everything looked fine but ports weren't being updated. After opening a case with Solarwinds they asked me to change the setting to 87600 (10 years). This seem to have fixed the issue.

• Awesome.  Thanks.  I set ours nice and long and will see if it works. Should know in a few hours.

• So after changing the setting we are seeing far fewer ports being unmonitored.  This appears to have resolved the issue for most of our ports that it was happening to.  Thanks!