This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Three questions about UDT polling intervals and pollers

For those of you who use UDT:

I just added UDT to my environment, and I like some of the new things we're learning through it.  But I regularly get two errors from it:

pastedImage_0.png

I've looked up the errors and it appears UDT needs either more resources, more pollers, or more time to complete its polling.

pastedImage_1.png

I've doubled the polling interval allowed, and still the error appears.

Question 1:  What polling intervals do you use to successfully complete polling?

Question 2:  How many nodes do your individual UDT pollers handle?

Question 3:  What physical resources / components (I'm assuming the manual is referencing memory and CPU, perhaps from a VM point of view) do your UDT pollers have installed?

​It's OK if you only answer one or two of these questions.  Please guide me with your UDT experience!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Question 1:  What polling intervals do you use to successfully complete polling?

For our environment it's:  Layer 2 - 10 minutes , Layer 3 - 15 minutes , Domain Controllers - 20 minutes.

We have 120 nodes with 2300 ports being monitored.

Question 3:  What physical resources / components (I'm assuming the manual is referencing memory and CPU, perhaps from a VM point of view) do your UDT pollers have installed?

Our solarwinds server consists of 1 app server with 1 DB server that is separate from the application server. The Solarwinds app server is set to 4 vCPU with 16GB RAM , The DB server is set to 4 vCPU with 32GB RAM.

We have not had any errors so far , other than right after implementation where it was populating all of the initial information. After that things have been fine, I actually reduced the polling intervals to those numbers and it seems to be the sweet spot for our environment so far.

How many nodes are you monitoring?

• Question 1:  What polling intervals do you use to successfully complete polling?

Total nodes is 2,400. However, we only focus on about 1,400 of them and 3,200 ports.   

Physical app and DB servers. Windows/SQL Server 2016. 64GB RAM, bucketload of CPU's. But we also run SAM, NCM, NTA, Patch Mgr, LEM, IPAM, SRM, VNQM, VMAN. 

• Thanks for your information.

After opening a Support Case with SW, I learned there's yet another Hot Fix and associated procedure to remedy the UDT polling errors I'm seeing.  I've not yet applied it, but I hope to within the next few days.  Fingers will be crossed that I can go back to default polling settings, and that the Fix will be just that.

• Is this a new hotfix? I only have UDT 3.3 hotfix 1 in my customer portal.

• This "hot fix" turns out to be a "buddy dump" where Support sent me a link to download a new UDT dll file.  The installation process was simple:

1. Stop all Solarwinds services on the poller

2. Move the original .dll file out of the normal location and keep it elsewhere for possible future restoration

3. Copy the new .dll file to the indicated directory

4. Start all Solarwinds services

5. Repeat on all pollers

Now that I've done this, Support asked to be notified, and then they'll send me the next step(s).  I'm not sure why they don't include them all with the original e-mail . . .

• What's the buddy drop number? I'd like to ask my support tech about it

• It was in the PreRelease 17 BD.

Now that it's deployed, Support just wrote me these instructions to proceed:

"

For the next step, you will need to contact your Database administrator.  Try running the SQL queries below.

Delete from udt_nodecapability where nodeid in (select nodeid from nodesdata where objectsubtype = 'WMI')

Delete from udt_nodecapability where nodeid in (select nodeid from nodesdata where objectsubtype = 'Agent')

Delete from udt_nodecapability where nodeid in (select nodeid from nodesdata where vendor = 'Windows')

Afterwards:

Delete from udt_job where nodeid not in (select nodeid from udt_nodecapability)

• Nick, you can have them reference Case Ticket 1353740.

• Did this buddy drop resolve your ability to change polling times?