This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Mis calculation Percent ports used

We seem to have a series of issues with the new UDT application, on top of the same issues other has reported in regards to missing ports and MAC/VLAN info not being collected, I’ve also noticed that the Port currently in use is calculation the percentile based on the combined amount of ports  on a switch despite they are physical or logical, which provides a very wrong picture of the actual amount of ports used.

The following is the worst case I’ve yet discovered, but naturally the more stacked switches and VLAN’s configured the further off the calculations will be.

The switches in question is 4 x WS-C3750G-24PS stacked together, each with 28 physical ports making a total of 4x28=112 physical ports. However since UDT is using all ports for the calculation its using the number 136 as total ports which is made up of 112 physical ports and 24 local ports

Naturally such a deviation will result in a wrong calculation of actual physical ports in use. I notice that UDT is using the Interface Type = Ethernet-csmacd for physical ports and propVirtual for logical ports, is there any means to get UDT to use only physical ports in its calculations?

• ALKSupport,

We definitely recognize this issue. I posted a blog about it with steps to correct this problem. That blog can be found here:

We are also working on a service release (1.0.1) that includes a much easier way to limit which ifTypes are used. The service release is currently in RC and I will send you the download link offline. The default it types will be a much better list in future releases.

Thanks,

Mav

• Dear Mav

Thank you for the reply, I managed to get hold of RC 1.0.1 and got it installed today, it solved the issue with capacity planing by de-selecting the port type propVirtual under advanced settings. While it did solve the initial problem it did create a new one else where.

From a capacity planing perspective its naturally only the physical ports thats interesting, but from a inventory / tracking perspective its relevant to follow the MAC and IP information across VLAN's and partically on port groups, it seems that by removing propVirtual type interfaces UDT lost the ability to track this kind of information on bundled trunks in particular.

But for now the first problem is solved, I'll see if there is some working around for the other part.

Regards

René 

• MAV does that mean, you can unselect Vlans,

so gives a more accurate list (count) of ethernet ports?

• Spiky, yes, you can unselect VLANs so that capacity is only calculated for physical interfaces. 

As ALKSupport mentioned, this has some other effects that we plan to fix in the future.

Mav

• Can I get a copy of that RC 1.0.1 please?

• sodonnel, I sent you an email with the RC.