cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 7

Alert me when a new MAC address appears into network

I am trying to setup a UDT alert to email me when a new MAC address appears into network.  What is the trigger condition I need to use to get the alert to work?  When I use the test feature, I get a test email, but I don't seem to be getting an email when a new MAC appears on the network.  I assume that my trigger condition is wrong.  It is currently set to is NewMac equal to 0.  thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Alert me when a new MAC address appears into network

Hi Mike - the trigger condition should be equal to 1.

When connecting a new MAC - are you sure that it wasn't connected before? UDT can remember MAC for a half of year easily...

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Changed it to 1 and it worked! Another question, are there any variables I can add so the email will tell me what switch and port the new MAC is connected to? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Which version do you please use? In UDT 3.1 there are new macro variables - PortID and NodeID you can use to make the alert be more specific...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am on UDT 3.1. I added those variables and will see what I get. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I received an email with the new variables, unfortunately it wasn’t too helpful.

PortID: 4549

NodeID: 0

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Have there been any updates on this? I'm looking at this same problem where I would like more information on a rogue MAC. I'm also looking at pulling in more information from Custom Properties into the email as well and would need the NodeID portion to work for that to happen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I asked support if it was possible to add which switch the new mac was connected to and they said no.  Every email I get shows a NodeID of 0.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Can you explain how you set this email alert up? I would greatly appreciate it. We are trying to make it easier to track down new devices that are not allow on the on the network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Go to Start -> Programs -> SolarWinds Orion -> Alerting, Reporting and Mapping -> Advanced Alert Manager

Click Configure Alerts

Select "Alert me when a new MAC address appears on network" and choose Edit

Under Trigger Condition, choose "Trigger Alert when all of the following apply" and set it to "is NewMac is equal to 1"

Under the Trigger Acctions tab, create a new action to email you.  This is where you can add the variables to put into the email you get.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos