This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Sending alert data in JSON format

HI,

I need to send alerts in JSON format to another tool. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to send data in JSON format using the alert action 'Send a GET or POST request to a webserver'.

Is there any other options to send the alert data in JSON format. I have tried using the REST API, but the attributes are limited while sending using it. Not able to include node details and alert objects. Am I missing something here.

• Using the HTTP Post trigger cation allows you to define the body. Within the body you can include variables such as node details, alert details etc.  You will need to wrap these variables appropriately such as

{

"AlertName": "${N=Alerting;M=AlertDescription}",

"NodeName" : "${N=SwisEntity;M=Caption}"  

}

If using the API, A Call to https://OrionServer:17778/SolarWinds/InformationService/v3/Json/Query?query=SELECT%20o.AlertConfigurations.Name,%20o.Ale…  will return a JSON object listing all active alerts.

• I don't see why this wouldn't work. One would just need to create proper JSON structure around the variables and then send it with an HTTP Post action.

• What's the 3rd party application?  We just implemented PagerDuty and SW sends a JSON API to PD.  It can be bi-directional but our security team won't allow it.  I was told SW could do HTTP posts, but the direct JSON API is preferred.

• We're doing the same with OpsGenie. Our security team is world class and appropriately strict, but they approved the 2-way integration in this case because there are no open ports exposed externally. The integration agent lives on one of our Orion servers and it simply checks a messaging pub/sub service in OpsGenie for new messages (ack, close, comment on alerts) every 30 seconds or so. That way it's only reaching out to our OpsGenie account for data and nothing has to push in to our internal servers.

• Hi Tony,

Thanks for your update. We are trying to send alerts from Solarwinds to another tool which will act as a common alert console. Getting the alert data via API is not preferred as it cannot be considered real time where we need to GET the data from Solarwinds on a specific interval.

That's why we are looking for HTTP POST action so it will be sending alert to alarm console with out any delay.

• Hi Sturdyerde,

Event though we use JSON structure while sending it wont be delivered in JSON format in the receiving end. We need to use some tools like Logstash to convert that to JSON format. This is what I identified from my testing and also heard from Solarwinds support.