cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 18

What Would The Geek Do

Part of what makes THWACK such a comfortable place for IT pros to hang out is the dedication of SolarWinds staff to filling the role as “trusted mentor”. We feel great satisfaction when we’re able to leverage our experience to help others in the community, even when it has nothing to do with SolarWinds products specifically.

Imagine walking through your office and running into one of the Head Geeks in the hallway, and grabbing them for a second to get a quick piece of advice. That was the basis for the “What Would the Geek Do” video series. These un-scripted conversations give us a chance to rif on a question we get asked repeatedly at SWUGs, trade shows, and on email and offer a thorough (if fast) answer – after all, we can’t stand next to the water cooler gabbing ALL day, can we?

So check out the video series HERE and then check what you’ve learned by answering the questions below.

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------
"Measure what is measurable,
and make measurable what is not so." - Gallileo

26 Replies

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 7

Too many alerts affects my 8 hours of beauty sleep let me tell ya!

0 Kudos
Level 7

Question 2 answer is wrong.Head Geek is a Leon Adato.

Stupid Question: Asking for a friend. How can you tell if Syslog and Trap Messages are Slowing Down my Monitoring Solution?

Thanks! I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

Level 12

I don't even remember the question but I'm fairly sure all of the above and none of the above were not the answer. It could have been any combination of the choices above the last 2 choices but it could not have been the last 2 choices. Not sure if I said to much but that was my thinking after giving it some thought and then pretty sure about it after wluther​'s comment.

0 Kudos
Level 7

technically question 7 is wrong....choosing the correct answer causes all to be invalid due to the one directly above.......

Level 10

Question 6.. Go with the flow

0 Kudos
Level 12

Yeah I thought about it after the fact. I think the question was actually okay thinking on it.

0 Kudos
Level 9

It does seem to be an infinite number if you are counting one at a time ...

0 Kudos
Level 16

Had a similar situation when a math teacher told my the number of grains of sand on the earth was Infinite.

Several..... years later Google says 7.5 x 1018 grains of sand, or seven quintillion, five hundred quadrillion

0 Kudos

Many years ago, my 12th grade science teacher sent me to the office because I called her out on one of her exams (in front of the entire class, which didn't help any...), for that same reason. I told her she could not put "All of the above" below "None of the above", as it would include "None of the above" if the answer was "All of the above", which could only work if "All of the above" was not the answer...

Level 12

The seventh questions answer order made it an impossible answer.

Level 12

It was a Good Basic Training List of Videos to go through.

However the Audio for the Josh Stephens Videos was very low.

It has been Bookmarked to share when and where applicable.

0 Kudos
Level 16

Could always stand up an install on a VM and request a demo copy of the software to learn it.

0 Kudos
Level 11

I've got "error" when I try to answer the second question the first time and no it's wrong anwered..

This post is made of 100% recycled electrons
0 Kudos
Level 9

Yay! They work! Thank you!

0 Kudos

I think that is a great way to see what and also how solarwinds can help but what if I am just doing this on my own so I can learn it and I would love to setup a lab so I could really see how it works but I don't have enough hardware so I will just go through the training and maybe it will come that I get a client that will need something like this setup and I can be the expert for them. Great job by all ......

0 Kudos
Level 9

Thank you for these. It was a good excuse to binge on the videos.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Thanks for the info, love the points also.

0 Kudos
Level 16

Thanks Leon!

0 Kudos