cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Infoblox Services(DNS, DHCP & IPAM) monitoring in solarwinds

Hello,

We have infobloxs in our monitoring, but how to monitor the infoblox services like DNS, DHCP & IPAM in solarwinds?

how the services configurations can be done?

13 Replies
Level 7

OK! That got it! Man, that was sure harder than it needed to be. Thanks so much!

0 Kudos

Glad it's working now!

Solarwinds, if you're listening, please make this process easier!

Level 13

We're using a custom Universal Device Poller (UnDP) to get DHCP subnet utilization for Infoblox.

Here's the XML for the poller. Copy and paste into a new file, then import into Solarwinds using the Universal Device Poller application.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<CustomPollers version="9.0">

<CustomPoller UniqueName="ibDHCPSubnetNetworkAddress" Description="DHCP Subnet in IpAddress format. A subnetwork may have many &#xD;&#xA; ranges for lease." OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.4.1.1.1.1" MIB="IB-DHCPONE-MIB:ibDHCPSubnetNetworkAddress" SNMPGetType="GetSubTree" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="Infoblox" PollerType="S" Parser="None" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="SameTable" LabelDetail="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.4.1.1.1.1">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="ibDHCPSubnetNetworkMask" Description="DHCP Subnet mask in IpAddress format." OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.4.1.1.1.2" MIB="IB-DHCPONE-MIB:ibDHCPSubnetNetworkMask" SNMPGetType="GetSubTree" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="Infoblox" PollerType="S" Parser="None" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="SameTable" LabelDetail="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.4.1.1.1.1">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="ibDHCPSubnetPercentUsed" Description="Percentage of dynamic DHCP address for subnet leased out at this &#xD;&#xA; time. Fixed addresses are always counted as leased for this &#xD;&#xA; calcuation if the fixed addresses are within ranges of leases." OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.4.1.1.1.3" MIB="IB-DHCPONE-MIB:ibDHCPSubnetPercentUsed" SNMPGetType="GetSubTree" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="Infoblox" PollerType="S" Parser="None" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="SameTable" LabelDetail="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.4.1.1.1.1">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="ibDhcpTotalNoOfRequests" Description="This variable indicates the number of &#xD;&#xA; requests received" OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.4.1.3.2" MIB="IB-DHCPONE-MIB:ibDhcpTotalNoOfRequests" SNMPGetType="GetNext" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="Infoblox" PollerType="C" Parser="Counter" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="ibServiceDesc" Description="Service Description." OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.2.1.9.1.3" MIB="IB-PLATFORMONE-MIB:ibServiceDesc" SNMPGetType="GetSubTree" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="Infoblox" PollerType="S" Parser="None" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="2" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="" LabelDetail="">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

<CustomPoller UniqueName="ibServiceStatus" Description="Service Status." OID="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.2.1.9.1.2" MIB="IB-PLATFORMONE-MIB:ibServiceStatus" SNMPGetType="GetSubTree" NetObjectPrefix="N" GroupName="Infoblox" PollerType="S" Parser="None" IncludeHistory="True" Unit="" TimeUnitId="0" TimeUnitQuantity="0" DefaultDisplayTimeUnitId="0" Formula="" LabelType="SameTable" LabelDetail="1.3.6.1.4.1.7779.3.1.1.2.1.9.1.3">

<Enumerations />

</CustomPoller>

</CustomPollers>

Once you've added the pollers, you can add them to the Solarwinds page for your Infoblox devices.

I was able to import this Custom UnDP, and I was able to assign them to my infoblox devices. However, I'm not certain how to view the polling details from the custom pollers? I've tried adding some customer UnUP charts, but not seeing any details about DHCP or DNS entries. Any help in viewing, or setting up a custom chart to view DHCP and DS details would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hi cszell@gatehousemedia.com​,

Just because this isn't complicated enough, you also have to tell the UnDP what kinds of views can display the data for a poller. Right-click on the poller definition (under "ALL DEFINED POLLERS") and choose "Web Display" from the pop-up menu. This will bring up a list of views. In that list, you can choose the views that can show the poller data as well as how to display the data (table, gauge, chart). Here's what it looks like in my installation:

pastedImage_0.png

After you do this, you'll be able to see the poller data on that page (for devices that have the poller assigned).

0 Kudos

I've got my Infoblox UnDP poller built, but I am not seeing the Infoblox details in the poller, what am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos

The poller has to run for a while to collect data. Until it's had time to do that, you won't see anything.

0 Kudos

Didn't think about that. It's been running since Monday (it's Thursday now.) Is that long enough, or do I need to wait some more?

0 Kudos

That should be plenty of time. Did you explicitly place the poller on a page when you assigned it to the device?

0 Kudos

Not sure if I follow you. Are you asking if I assigned it to a specific page on the device's record? Then, no. Is that what the problem is?

0 Kudos

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm asking about the "Web Display" step:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

That's what I get. How do I assign the poller to a page. I guess is the question.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

OK, I think I understand. Do you know what view your installation uses to display the device you're assigning the poller to? I believe the default is "Node Details."

Say you want the poller to show up on the Summary tab of the Node Details page. Find the row that says "Node Details - Summary." Put a check in the box in the "Table" column of that row. This will cause Solarwinds to display the poller data in a table on the Summary tab of the Node Details page for any node that has this poller assigned to it.

0 Kudos