cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

SolarWinds Orion Migration 12.1 to 12.3

Guys, This is my first post here.

I am currently looking to migrate our Orion server from Windows 2008 to 2016, I currently have NPM 12.1 running and preparing to update to 12.3.

After reviewing the documentation, and Webinars I am a little confused with the best way to proceed, due to contradictions, can someone please advice?

- Documentation : Is advising to  install the identical software versions of NPM, SAM, NCM, NTA and other modules on the new main Orion server as were installed on the original server beforehand. (Failure to so could result in a failed migration).

- Webinar by Will Muhle and Eric Bryant (SolarWinds Support Application Engineer), are advising strongly to upgrade new Windows server straight to NPM 12.3.

Can anyone help on the best way to approach ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 9

I'm glad that i found this post because I have the same concern. What did you end up doing to upgrade from 12.1 to 12.3? I've been advised by support to install on fresh windows 2016 servers and run the installer. Curious if you had any issues...

0 Kudos

If you are provisioning new servers for the Solarwinds then there is nothing preventing you from installing the latest release and then letting config wizard upgrade your database schema.

Solarwinds don't advocate this approach as if done incorrectly you could cause issues which then become slightly harder to pinpoint the root cause.

I have done as much for several customers and only on a small number of them have I had issues.

- David Smith

Thanks for taking the time to answer David.

0 Kudos

No problem, If you want any more help with a more detailed upgrade plan just give me a shout

Cheers

David

- David Smith
0 Kudos