cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 11

How to monitor pool (Max Pool Size=1000;)

Hi All, I want to know how to monitor pool (Max Pool Size=1000;)

Event Error messages: Service was unable to open new database connection when requested. TransactionManagerCommunicationException: Network access for Distributed Transaction Manager (MSDTC) has been disabled. Please enable DTC for network access in the security configuration for MSDTC using the Component Services Administrative tool. Connection string - Data Source=xyz;Initial Catalog=SolarWindsOrion;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=xyz;Password=*******;Max Pool Size=1000;Connect Timeout=20;Load Balance Timeout=120;Packet Size=4096;Application Name=SolarWinds.Alerting.Service@SolarWinds.Alerting.Service.exe;Workstation ID=ABC

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 9

Following this thread as had the same problem since upgrading 2 weeks ago and looking to track number of pooled connections in place.

At the moment we have to restart the INFO_V3 service every 60-90 minutes.

CASE: 00408837

Service was unable to open new database connection when requested. InvalidOperationException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.  This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached. Connection string - Data Source=xsdwin5002,56566\XSDWIN0026;Initial Catalog=SolarWindsONET;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=SolarWindsUser;Password=*******;Max Pool Size=1000;Connect Timeout=20;Load Balance Timeout=120;Packet Size=4096;Application Name=SolarWinds.InformationService.ServiceV3@domain-Orion; Workstation ID=SERVERNAME

Latest suggested fix is to upgrade SQL to latest CU as we're about a year out, arranging this outage for tomorrow.

0 Kudos

In a few cases since the newer releases I have come across clients who just edited the swnetperfmon.db file settings to allow a higher number of connections in the pool, so far that seemed to help them with no ill effects that we could picked up during stress testing or over the least few months.

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos

Is it just a case of stopping the services, altering the swnetperfmon.db file and then starting the services again?

What happens if you run the configuration wizard at a later date?

0 Kudos
Level 9

Following this thread to see if anyone gets a straight answer. I was given the "build a bigger database server" response when my DBAs only see about 40% utilization of our current setup. They did double my available RAM on the SQL box but we're still seeing the errors with the same frequency but with even lower utilization numbers on the SQL box.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Found this thread looking for the same answer. I opened a case but never got back an answer other than "build a larger database server".

This question is for Orion and I will move it to the correct forum for better response.

Level 9

Hi! We have the same issue, making all services to restart several times each day. We are trying to monitor the max pool size too. If we find something usefull we let you know.

Hope you can fix it soon.

0 Kudos
Level 11

Hi, Can anyone help to track this?

0 Kudos
Level 12

Did you place a ticket with support?

I am showing the same error in my solarwinds.net event log.  

Currently I have two issues.  UDT is not showing L2 information on switches, but routers seem to show good info, and SIP trunks in VNQM show a status of 'not polled as of yet'

There is also another post that shows the same event error Re: Solarwinds is now horribly unstable.

My ticket number for the SIP trunk issue is 00123855.   

0 Kudos