This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

VDI Desktop support on VMAN

I was looking a way to leverage VMAN module to monitor VDI desktop environment  in the virtual infrastructure. often times operations encounter  problems relating to VDI desktop performance issues which could have been detected by VMAN and avoided before problem occur .

I looked up the SolarWinds website and  found a component of the vman on version 5.1 named VDI Desktop support .The component provides VDI desktop  dashboard and widgets showing VDI desktop resource usage , their number and their OS etc However such component is not available in my current vman version. After contacting SolarWinds support indicated the VDI desktop support feature was a part of the VMAN appliance and when the appliance is deprecated the feature was migrated to the current version. However we could not find any VDI desktop level info in my VMAN version (8.x) . Even though I concluded with the support person that a feature request will be submitted, wanted to see SolarWinds community ideas and experience.

Has any one aware and been using such a feature on the current version of a VMAN ?

• In current vman there's nothing out of the box that specifically looks for vdi desktops, but they are essentially the same as any other vm in Orion.   I find most companies put most their vdi together in a specific cluster or have a naming convention you could filter against to have a dashboard showing all vms in such and such cluster or with names containing xyz

• In contrast with what you are looking for I actually find most of my clients ask me to filter all the vdi stuff out of the main views and alerts.   They don't care about the individual vdi, just the aggregate loads on the hosts and clusters.

• The VDI were supposed to be shown on servers located on some clusters hosting the VDI desktops. The problem is they are not detected or visible under the servers. The feature I am mentioning  provides an overview of the overall VDIs in the virtual infrastructure that would help to detect performance issues etc

• Might be something specific to your environment? I see vdi's displaying in VMAN at almost every larger client I work with. If there are systems missing it may be that the service account used to poll vcenter doesn't have visibility into them, or if there's a large number of objects on that particular vcenter sometimes you need to increase your vcenter polling time out to allow all of the data to come back.