cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Unmanage and Re-manage mulitple nodes

Hello Everyone,

Is there any way to unmanage and re-manage multiple nodes? May be from the tool or by using powershell script.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager

Hi! When you're typically un-managing these entities are you doing this for a maintenance window? What are you doing this for

0 Kudos

Yes its for maintainance

0 Kudos
Level 10

We simply place nodes in groups relative to their purpose and tick one box to unmanage / remanage all at once. Look into Custom Properties and create a Group for the nodes you need to bulk manage.

It sounds like you're talking about using a custom property called "Group" rather than the Groups built into SolarWinds, yeah?  I have a group set up that includes all nodes from a dynamic query and am hoping to modify maintenance mode on that group.

0 Kudos

Oh!! Got it. That Helps! Thanks Shawndiaz

0 Kudos
Level 14

This is what you are looking for.

SW PowerShell Bulk Unmanage API script

Level 16

Save this as .ps1 and run it. This will use your AD credentials to authenticate to your Orion server and unmanage a node named NODEYOUWANTTOUNMANAGE for 10 minutes from now.

Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin

$swis = Connect-Swis -host YOURORIONSERVER -Trusted

$nodeid = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT NodeID FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE SysName LIKE 'NODEYOUWANTTOUNMANAGE'"

$now =[DateTime ]:: Now

$later =$now.AddMinutes(10)

Invoke-SwisVerb $swis Orion.Nodes Unmanage @("N: $nodeid ", $now ,$later , "false")

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for it. Just to confirm I need to give the Orion sever FQDN (YOURORIONSERVER) and I should give multiple node names here ('NODEYOUWANTTOUNMANAGE') in comma separated values?

What Powershell version is required for this,  Because i get Snap-in error as below

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

You need the install the plugin Releases · solarwinds/OrionSDK · GitHub

The information about SWIS is here GitHub - solarwinds/OrionSDK: SDK for the SolarWinds Orion platform, including tools, documentation,...

There are a lot of examples here on THWACK. The script should work once you get the plugin installed.

Level 13

Here is a good amount of information using the SolarWinds SDK https://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/62160

0 Kudos

I have had the best luck with the SDK.  I have lag issues when trying to put too many nodes in maintenance at once using the GUI.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Hi

Solarwinds  Unmanage Utility is already available.

Please refer the below link:-

Scheduling Unmanage Task for Nodes, Interfaces and Applications - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help an...

Regards

Mohit

Just open Manage Nodes. Tick the box for the nodes you want and then click on Maintenance Mode and select Unmanage. Do the same to remanage them.

pastedImage_0.png

Just to follow on. this is what the screen will look like. Tick as many as you want and then select the highlighted "unmanage now"

Thanks Guys for all your Help..

Yes, I'm aware of the above options which you provided. I feel this becomes hard for me when i have to unmanage/re-manage more 10 nodes at a time. I need to go search for them if i have 100's of nodes. So i'm looking for any other options which makes this little simpler

0 Kudos

you may be using custom property and can identify the nodes using custom property ,from manage nodes page you can select them based on custom property and unmanage/remanage as required.

Thank You Prashant. Can you give me an example how can we create the custom property for this scenario.

0 Kudos