cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Twelve Step Program - Solarwinds

Hello, I'm Radioteacher and I use SolarWinds Orion.

Today we used Product Upgrade Advisory (PUA) to plan a path to NPM 12.

We already have two smaller installs of NPM12 that watch critical systems and report their findings.  Now we are upgrading the thirteen module monster.

PUA provided us a 12 step plan.  I am not kidding it is 12 step plan to get to NPM12.

Right off the bat we had some issues with our 11.5.3 install messing with the 12 install. 

On support now.  Repaired current installs and reloaded 11.5.3.  After this is done we will try NPM 12 again.

If that is good....only eleven more steps to go.

RT

Tags (1)
4 Replies

This is terribly funny when you apply SolarWinds to the 12 steps.

1. We admitted we were powerless over Network Monitoring —that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our network over to the care of Solarwinds as we understood Him.
  4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves, and our network.
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
  6. Were entirely ready to have Solarwinds remove all these defects of character.
  7. Humbly asked Thwack to remove our shortcomings.
  8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
  10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
  11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, and Solarwinds as we understood them.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to IT workers at large and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Level 13

@radioteacher I love that you are sharing with us how it's going. It's involvement from users like you which helps us move forward!

0 Kudos

Kellie,

I am just getting back online after vacation.  For a few days, we fought with the install of step one from different angles using different levels of support. 

In the end, we had to clean out most of the data from the QoE tables in the database.  That's OK it will make more QoE data.

All of the work was done on a new server install.

We moved to the new server and finally got the install for NPM 12.0 and 12.0.1.

Patch Manager required some cleanup to install.  Once again support came through. 

IPAM, UDT, NTA, NCM, VOIP NQM, SAM, and VMan all installed and upgraded without issue.

SMan and SRM needed some time on support to get upgraded and setup.

WPM needed and fix like Patch Manager to get installed. 

Still to do...

When I get into to the office on Monday I will open a ticket to see what is up with QoE...it is still broke and we need to do some general cleanup.

I will update this when we are all done.

RT

Level 13

Keep the feedback coming!

0 Kudos