This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Trigger A Custom Event Without The Accompanying Alert

So here is my understanding of the difference between alerts and events, and how they both operate. I hope someone can clarify if this is correct, as I'm having a difficult time finding any documentation that explains this clearly:

- An alert can be set to trigger an event, meaning it writes to the Event Log. You can also set conditions that determine when/how the alert does trigger. When an alert is triggered, it is shown under "All Active Alerts". Alerts are defined in the database table dbo.AlertConfigurations.

- Events are defined in the database table dbo.EventTypes. They appear to be hardcoded, meaning while I can alter certain fields in the dbo.EventTypes, such as turning them off entirely by setting "Record" to 0, I have no way to meaningfully change how they are triggered or add my own events. They write to the event log.

My Question is:

1. Since I cannot create a custom event, can I create a custom alert that only writes to the event log without adding an entry "All Active Alerts," therefore effectively creating a custom event?

Bonus Question:

2. I'd like to use the Red/Green icons that Events use to indicate node down/up status for my custom Alerts, as I don't like the default "Serverity" and "Reset Actions" icons. According to the Event DB table, Events use strings to determine the icon, but in the Alerts Table, it seems to use integers. I know I can do this by changing the source images in the Orion install folders, but that isn't a very good solution, so is there a better way to do this?