This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network Sonar Discovery - Class A networks

According to SW they recommend the following when using subnets for for the NSD.

Subnets 

Use this option to scan every IP address in a subnet. SolarWinds recommends scanning at most a /23 subnet (512 addresses max).

Scanning a subnet returns everything that responds to ping, so we recommend only scanning subnets where the majority of devices are objects you want to monitor.

How have you handled class A networks with /16 addresses?  Using a /23 will generate over 32K subnets.

So do you use seed routers, AD, or another method when dealing with large addresses?

TIA.

• How many actual objects are you expecting to find in that sea of ip addresses? I don't believe in having Orion just wandering through my networks guessing at stuff to try and connect with.

Do you have actual lists of ips in use? 

Even using a seed router can be a pretty sloppy way to get lists of subnets.  Router won't differentiate between dhcp workstation subnets, that I generally don't want to try to include, versus the network mgmt subnets that have the  gear I'm actually looking for.

• I have a list of subnets that I have been scanning but the list I was provided have some /16 networks which are too large to scan.

A seed router will not help unles there is a way to distinguish the end device. 

The question still remains, how to handle large /16 subnets?

• all you can do is break them up.  If you can't get a more narrowly scoped list of subnets then if it was me I would just write a script to do build discoveries in batches.  Maybe something like break the /16 into many /22's and after that completes have it build a new discovery with the next /22.  I expect it will take a long time to work through the list.  Might be faster if you start by using a tool like nmap to at least do the initial ping sweep and build your hit list off the data that comes from nmap?