cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Looking for a Handbook to Solarwinds. Any how to or best setup suggestions on Brand new builds?

I was looking for a whole Best practice setup or use cases for new builds based on environment sizes. Does anyone have Sites or books that I should read or buy.  I am brand new to the program and I only took the 101 class but I really need to get more in depth on it.   So does anyone have any idea on what I should be researching?

Id love to see A handbook per module.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MVP
MVP

The Youtube Solarwinds channel is really good too, loads of useful stuff on there...

solarwindsinc - YouTube

I would iterate what jkuvlesk​ mentioned regarding the Success Center.

There is a large amount of good data there, training opportunities, and of course there is Thwack.

We are probably the best online support community out there.

Note that best practices tend to be based  on certain criteria.  Most company environments are enough different that the concepts need to be addressed to see if they apply of if they can be adopted.

Feel free to post questions in the various product forums.  Let us know how much experience you have with tools of the sort and how mature your monitoring environment is.

Regards,

Jon

Level 14

jvb is right. System requirements by size of license are in the Success Center and the Getting Started Guides are a really good reference to get up and running. We even have system requirements if you own multiple Orion Platform products. https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Network_Performance_Monitor_(NPM)/Network_Performance_... In addition, we offer training that is included with your license. Here is the course calendar. https://customerportal.solarwinds.com/VirtualClassrooms/#/?calendar We offer an NPM Installation and Configuration course every Tuesday.

Product Manager
Product Manager

A good start might be to read through the requirements doc and the getting started guides for SAM and NPM as those tend to be the keystone modules in an Orion deployment:

SolarWinds requirements

Server & Application Monitor (SAM) Getting Started Guide - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Suppo...

Network Performance Monitor Getting Started Guide - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Also the admin guides for NPM and SAM have a lot of good information as well:

NPM Documentation - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

SAM Documentation - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Level 13

hi @bleedinghero, First, welcome to SolarWinds! This is a great question, and I'll make sure to throw some of our MVP user on thwack your way (and some official SolarWinds help, too!). In the meantime, here in User Experience (UX), our job is to talk to users at all experience levels with SolarWinds and learn what is working for you, what is missing, what is confusing, etc. so that we can help craft better products moving forward.  I'd love to hear about your journey with SolarWinds so far. Feel free to email me directly at kellie.mecham@solarwinds.com if you'd like to just talk about your experience so far.  Thanks for posting.