This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How have you successfully resolved performance issues on a new Orion server?

I'm still familiarizing myself with Solarwinds as I was recently hired and charged with managing SNMP (based on previous experience with other Monitoring solutions at other organizations).

I joined Thwack when this product (and new Orion server project) was initially assigned to me. Thwack has been extremely helpful in learning; I have already found helpful information regarding basic Orion configuration while reviewing discussions/questions previously posted by other users in this community.  That being said, I decided that this was a great opportunity to utilize Thwack and begin my own discussion:

We recently introduced a new Orion server into our Production environment to replace the existing one.  The new (virtual) Orion server is version 2017.1.3 and will eventually replace our existing server running 2015.1.3.  Instead of upgrading, we decided to start with a new Orion server and database.  We then ran new discoveries and we'll also be creating new alerts, and moving our license after we verify the readiness of the new server.

After a week of configuration and discoveries of nodes in multiple subnets, the new Orion server's performance significantly decreased and showed very slow response times in RDP sessions and/or accessing the Orion web console. 

We then edited the resources of the VM guest that is running the new Orion server.  We increased the amount of virtual CPU's/cores after noticing a constant utilization of near 70%. After increasing the resources and rebooting the VM a few times, the performance of RDP sessions and the web console had both significantly improved.  Then a few days later, the problem returned.  I'm waiting on my senior engineer to return next week before I make additional changes. Before we apply more changes, adjust resources on the database server, or reach out to Solarwinds support, I wanted to ask other members of the Thwack community for recommendations.

What have you done to improve performance and/or resolve issues with your own Orion servers?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!