This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Firepower 2100 Interfaces

Hi, I have an issue with polling interfaces on my Cisco Firepower appliances.  Are these not supported yet or something, I know the 4000 series can poll and my ASA's running firepower code work as well. 

pastedImage_0.png

• I'm a bit confused, this screenshot shows several real and virtual interfaces.  What are you expecting to see differently?

• I am expecting it to show the actual interface names and descriptions that are in the configuration of the firewalls.  For ASA55xx firewalls it does this no problem, but it does not seem to be able to pull it on the 2100 series. 

• That's going to be an issue with how that specific model responds to the standard snmp values for interface description and alias.  Some models just don't give up the information one would expect.

• I have to say that I am taken back then that Solarwinds does not have this very popular Cisco 2100 series firewall figured out and how to pull this information from Cisco...this is not some off brand firewall.  I got the same response from a solarwinds tech support, that I should call the manufacturer....ITS CISCO.  I mean am I the only one that thinks this should resolved between Solarwinds and Cisco? 

• Snmp is an industry standard protocol, not some custom solarwinds specific thing. if the 2100 reports weird data in those fields it is really up to Cisco to get in line with the protocol, as they do on their own devices for other model lines.   SW isn't typically building custom data integration for every oddball system where vendors don't populate their own ifdescription table.  You will find that these interface descriptions will probably show up exactly the same in any snmp based NMS you come across because everyone more or less adheres to the standards.

You'll want to align your expectations with the concept that SW shows you whatever the vendor gives them. If something isn't looking correct then the issue is 99% of the time a case where the device is providing that incorrect data when polled via snmp.  If you can find out where the 2100 is reporting interface names via snmp (if they are reporting them at all) you can create a custom poller for it, also can check the content exchange to see if someone else has already wrestled this specific device and uploaded a custom poller to share.