This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Did you switch to SolarWinds from HP Openview, CA Spectrum, or IBM?

We are looking for users who switched to SolarWinds from HP Openview, CA Spectrum, or IBM to speak with an analyst (you will remain anonymous) for roughly 15-20 minutes of your time.  Points + a gift card will be rewarded!  Comment below ASAP if you are interested and I will be in touch.

• We did use HP OpenView when I first started here; however, we did not migrate directly to SolarWinds.  We went from HP OpenView to an Open Source solution and then to SolarWinds.  I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but let me know if this works and I would be happy to help.

• Count me in.

Edit: Please correct HP Overview to HP Openview emoticons_happy.png

• , , and I'll be in touch today/tomorrow.  Thanks!

Any others?

• Just a comment here, HP Openview, CA Sectrum, and the IBM product are not really performance monitors but rather network monitors.  By that I mean they don't really collect the came kind of performance stats that Orion does.  They can, with a whole lot of modification, but they don't come out of the box with that capability.  They are primarily for up/down/trap event monitoring and notification.    So it would be an apples to oranges comparison.  In my opinion it would be a more accurate comparison to compare Orion to products like Alcatel-Lucent's Vitalnet, which is in exactly the same category as Orion as well as some other products.  Having said all that we use SNMPc from Castlerock in the same way that HP Openview would be used and that is a basic topology viewer and visual alarm notification.  In fact we send traps from Orion to SNMPc to get detail visual event notification for our NOC.  We have had Openview in the past and got rid of it due to cost and complexity.  We also had Vitalnet and got rid of it due to maintenance cost escalation.

• While I don't know about the others, with regard to HP Openview it depends on which part of it you are talking about.  HP Openview is a suite of products, not just a single product.  HP Openview Operations Manager (as it was called when I was using it, not sure what it is now) was a server monitoring and management platform with agents and different management packs for the servers.

• Have to disagree. ITNM is IBM's "OpenView killer/competitor", but ITM (formerly Tivoli Framework, with sub-modules for Distributed Monitoring as well as software distribution, inventory and more) are very much agent-based server  monitoring tools that collect performance and capacity metrics.

And even ITNM (for network monitoring) as the *ability* to collect SNMP information. It's just a giant rabid undead bear to configure and manage

Not that I have any strong opinions about it, of course.

- Leon