cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Would you manage an array with PowerShell?

I have read recently that 2012 is the year of PowerShell. Microsoft is seemingly moving that way by integrating PowerShell across product lines and building the application on top of the shell. I am learning, or getting to learn PowerShell, and there are a number of applications from Microsoft and other companies that can be managed with PowerShell and it is extremely interesting and extremely powerful.

My question to you is this, would you use PowerShell to manage a storage array? If the tools and cmd-lets we're available to manage storage, would you consider using them?

I think managing storage with PowerShell would be a great step in the right direction.  Consider the standardization that could be considered for executing commands against the array... Sure storage vendors could create their own tools, but with a bit of help from the community, may the general command are the same, create-lun to build a LUN on an array would work.

Or perhaps a module created by a storage vendor to manage their array, this way the vendor gets control of the commands for their storage, but they all still use the standard verb-noun syntax of PowerShell... Seems like a worthwhile idea to me.   

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 7

Compellent (now Dell Compellent) has had a Powershell command set for several years. We use it mainly for automating creating View volumes from the latest replicas and mounting them to servers at our DR site. Using Powershell also makes it easy to script actions such as scanning disks in Windows, rescanning datastores in ESXi and/or vCenter, etc. Something to consider if you are considering Compellent. It works for us.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Definitely, if it's an option. Netapp provide the ONTAP Toolkit which provides cmdlets for most operations. We've now scripted daily checks, automated provisioning and some DR operations. Why wouldn't you if you could?

0 Kudos

I tend to agree... PowerShell is something that could make life much easier for most / all admins, bringing the capabilities to storage just removes some of the burden of management for the array, assuming the scripting is done well and documented.

0 Kudos
Level 9

This is a great question!

I'm really bullish on PowerShell generally, but I'm really not sure I'd actually use it to manage a production array. It would be nice to have it as a tool, sure, but I don't really see myself using the CLI all that much anymore.

On the other hand, if arrays had PowerShell interfaces for replication and snapshots, I could definitely see scripting to them. But not for provisioning tasks...

0 Kudos