cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Department Account Limitations and Node Discovery

So here is our situation...  we have multiple "departments" (teams) that share one SolarWinds instance.  Consequently, we've set up the user accounts with limitations based on the Department custom (node) property, so that each user can only see their department's nodes.

Problem we run into is when one of these users runs a discovery of new nodes, the discovery runs but the new nodes don't have a department assigned by default and so the user can't see them after they're added...  An admin has to then go set the proper department property on those nodes before the user can do anything with them.

In the Account Limitation settings for each account, I have the option to select specific departments to limit the account to as well as an Unknown checkbox.  However, I can never check Unknown and actually get it to stick.

Has anyone had any luck with that?

Any other ideas on how to deal with this?

Like if there was a way to automatically have new nodes get a certain department set (e.g. "Newly Imported"), that would probably do the trick.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

You can set up an alert action where if your property is blank it triggers with an action to set it to the your default value.
- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm trying this approach but not having any luck...  Can't even get the Trigger Condition to work as expected.  Here is what I have:

mgaciarz_0-1589405977779.png

But when I go to the alert SUMMARY, it says the alert will be triggered on 0 objects.

I can - however - run this query on the database:

SELECT * FROM [dbo].[Nodes]
where department is null

...and that returns many objects.

I also tried to to leave the alert enabled and import some new nodes.  I verified that the new nodes imported successfully and did not have the department set but they did not trigger the alert...

Any ideas?

0 Kudos

That's weird, if you can get away with it you might try restarting your server?
0 Kudos

Could also try adding an OR condition where department = ''
0 Kudos

Have rebooted the server multiple times since I first tried this.  Also upgraded to 2020.02 and still have the same issue.

Using Department = "" is not really an option because when you select is equal to as the operator, you only get a predefined list to choose from...

I tried to get tricky and do something like this:

mgaciarz_0-1593734540595.png

When I do that, the Show List option in the "scope" section does give me the expected list of nodes but the SUMMARY page still says the alert will be triggered on 0 objects 😞

0 Kudos