cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 14

Spread the Word!

Greetings all,

What is Spread the Word? Well, we want your stories. We want to hear why you chose SolarWinds products over other products in the space. We want to know what you think is cool about our products. We want to hear of your successes using the products. We want to hear what we did right and where we could still use some tweaks.

Answer these questions in your post and we will hook you up with some SolarWinds SWAG:

1.       What problem is the product you chose solving for you today?

2.       What were you using before? Please include the vendor and the product name in your post, if we replaced something else.

3.       When it came down to the final decision, why did you choose the SolarWinds product?

4.       What has been your return on investment (ROI) since deploying SolarWinds?  For example, man hours saved, budget dollars saved, and/or percentage of increased sales using SolarWinds.

If you'd like to get your hands on a SolarWinds T-shirt, we could use your help in providing a case study or a public reference. These require a 20 minute chat with one of our PR team members or a reporter that we get you in touch with... so, they are a bit more involved than a post. If you are interested, we'd love to hear from you. Private message (PM) me on thwack and I will pass along contact info to our PR folks.

If you have a moment, help us get this program back up on its feet. Give us the same feedback we love to hear at the shows. Come visit us and tell us your story.

Michael

16 Replies
Level 17

We own a lot more than we actively use; some of this is determined by the higher ups, or some folks in a group that is supposed to OWN this stuff. Of course we get the bulks of the work and end up fixing and enhancing the out fo the box Device anyway.  Not Limited to NPM, NCM, SAM, Virtualization goes un used. Alert Central is coming soon;  I also use the Toolset. Sonar and Discovery is good and had to be used so I could generate links in Atlas.

1.       What problem is the product you chose solving for you today? Network Issues, Real Time Data about our network.

2.       What were you using before? Please include the vendor and the product name in your post, if we replaced something else. 10.x replaced 9.5; So the added features are Very Nice

3.       When it came down to the final decision, why did you choose the SolarWinds product? We already had the suite, and an upgrade seemed wise. Considering we knew what the upgrade would bring and we all went to Training for it.

4.       What has been your return on investment (ROI) since deploying SolarWinds?  For example, man hours saved, budget dollars saved, and/or percentage of increased sales using SolarWinds. Actual $$ amount may be un measurable(∞)   - From exposing unplanned or un catalogued changes to Management of Devices and Restoration in the event of an issue or a bad change. The instant visibility we get from some of our alerts allows us to respond quicker than we used to nipping that down time in the rear significantly.

0 Kudos
Level 9

1. What problem is the product you chose solving for you today?

Being a global company with small network management team it gives us a wonderful insight into the environment and the goings on in it.

2. What were you using before? Please include the vendor and the product name in your post, if we replaced something else.

Nothing. We were relying on users to call us and tell us things went down

3. When it came down to the final decision, why did you choose the SolarWinds product?

Ease of use and all the available resources for support

4. What has been your return on investment (ROI) since deploying SolarWinds? For example, man hours saved, budget dollars saved, and/or percentage of increased sales using SolarWinds.

Almost incalculable. The hours the products have saved us have been a life saver!

0 Kudos
Level 9

No other product meet our need.

Earlier today I have to use  NetFlow Traffic Analyzer Summary, to show a user his server was sending more traffic then he thought it should be. I showed he the graphs and he could see which app were talking and when. After some fine turning of the server the network was back to normal.

0 Kudos
Level 9

I posted my two cents here: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/54310

0 Kudos
Level 8

Michael,

We are currently using two Solarwinds products, SAM 5.0 and IPAM 3.0. And I gotta be honest, I love the two we use and I'm trying to get other groups **cough** networking **cough** to adopt another product. SAM is an outstanding tool. I call it a tool because it does more than just monitoring applications and servers. I work for a large company that has it's own monitoring group. They use sitescope. I never used it, I just dealt with the people that used it. We are a business group that used to be on our own before we were acquired by said large company. We used IPMonitor for much of our own monitoring. So, when we were brought on board we kept our IPMonitor, but were required to add any new apps/servers to sitescope. Our team of admins likes to control our own alerts, lord knows if you get woken up in the middle of the night and you CAN'T turn an alert off for whatever reason, someone will, uh, not be happy. Last year, we were split off as a separate business unit, with it's own separate IT staff. We decided we needed something more robust than what IPMonitor was giving us (our team loved IPMonitor, BTW). So, my manager looked around and eval'd the SAM 4.2. He thought is was too complicated. I said, let me have it and we'll see. I was hooked after a few minutes. We've been using it for the past 8 months or so and our whole team likes it, but not as much as I do. They don't log into it to tweak it, or just root around in the app monitor area to really appreciate it. I've already asked my manager for another polling engine. Even though we only monitor 600 servers across two data centers, we have lots of app monitoring. So much app monitoring that I'm now requested on outage calls to see what Orion sees. For instance, we had a website/app that keep crashing and the only fix was an iisreset. I was brought in to provide insight to many different people. I was able to set up polling on different perfmons and then show the various parties this information in a webpage view (so I wouldn't have to give everyone access to the server) and they could then figure out their issue (and prove it wasn't my server). Oh and BTW, that view has turned into a report that is generated daily and sent to the proper people so they can see trending. Oh, and trending/historical data is huge. Managers and directors here LOVE seeing that. "What? This webset is getting over loaded?" "Yes, look" "Oh, ok, have server ops spin up another VM." Decisions are made proactively instead of re-actively. 

1.       What problem is the product you chose solving for you today? - What is the app REALLY doing, what impact is it having, here is our analysis.

2.       What were you using before? Please include the vendor and the product name in your post, if we replaced something else. - IPMonitor and Sitescope

3.       When it came down to the final decision, why did you choose the SolarWinds product? - Ease of use (for me), trending, reporting, you name it. (And I thought it was fun to use )

If I had three thumbs, I'd give it 3 thumbs up. Seriously.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

SKerley - Wow! Thanks for giving us such a detailed background of where you came from and how your company is now using SolarWinds.  You make a great point that until you really dig into the product and realize the extend to which you can customize our products, you're definitely missing out on the potential the SolarWinds family of products have (especially with SAM).  We're elated to hear you're such a fan and we appreciate the shout out!

I've added 1,200 points to your profile.  If you decide to share your story via the social media icons above or on 3rd party sites, please link us there.  This will earn you a bonus 300 points per share!

Hi Michael

I've been a network engineer for about 19 years, got my CNE back in 93

When I started in my current role 17 years ago, we started using HP Openview. This proved extremely difficult to use and it became a giant paper weight. It was eventually replaced by Ciscoworks. It too was really hard to use but after attending a course, I was able to use it succesfully. A few years ago it was decided to start using Solarwinds. It was by far the most easiest thing to use. In next to no time, I had Solarwinds doing exactly what Ciscoworks was doing for us. In Ciscoworks it took ages to configure. Getting reports, data etc out of Solarwinds is also extremely easy and user friendly. In Ciscoworks everything was much harder to do, it was not intuative at all.

To answer your questions

1) I didn't choose the products but I'm glad management did. Pretty much any information on the network that they need, I can produce out of Solarwinds. It was much harder (and took much longer) to get the information out of Ciscoworks.

2) Described above.

3) As mentioned, I didn't pick Solarwinds. I wasn't part of the selection group. But I was extremely pleased they picked Solarwinds after using it. The difference in usability between Ciscoworks and Solarwinds, is like chalk and cheese. Solarwinds was so easy to configure, get reports, alerts etc. I was very happy to stop using Ciscoworks. But as we haven't got UDT, I still have to use Ciscoworks for this function. I'm trying to get management to buy UDT so I can decommission the Ciscoworks server.

I like Solarwinds so much I did the exam

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

superfly99 - As I mentioned above, I was attending a conference all last week.  I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.  It's awesome to hear that you are so pleased with the SolarWinds family of products!  We definitely strive to put out quality products that can be up and running in exceptionally less time than the others and still available at a reasonable price.  Oh, and congratulations on your newly earned SCP certification!

I've added 1,200 points to your profile.  If you decide to share your story via the social media icons above or on 3rd party sites, please link us there.  This will earn you a bonus 300 points per share!

0 Kudos
Level 12

Let me start by saying . . . SolarWinds Orion is the best monitoring software around.  I have been using SolarWinds products for about 10 years, spanning 3 different companies.  Currently we are using NPM, SAM, and UDT.  We are hoping to purchase IPAM sometime next year.

1.       We have hundreds of servers and network devices that are being monitored, environment monitoring in the data center is also very important to us, we have several key applications that we keep a very close eye on, and Orion has also improved our virtual and wireless monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities.  Prior to Orion, we had SO many false positive alerts and notifications that nobody paid any attention to them.  The other monitoring tools we had were useless.  In addition to alerting, we use the Syslog and SNMP traps to store some of our network device access logs (SSL VPN, routers and switches).  Orion is the perfect solution for centralizing this kind of information.

2.       When I started my current job, they were using WhatsUp Gold.  Because I was so used to Orion from my previous jobs, I found WhatsUp Gold to be very cumbersome, not intuitive at all and downright difficult to use.  As I mentioned in #1 above, we were getting regular false positive alerts and notifications which gave me an easy opening to push the Orion product.  I downloaded the trial of NPM, APM (as it was known at the time) and UDT and showed my coworkers what they were missing.  We took our demo to our boss and within about a month's time had completely replaced WhatsUp Gold with Orion.

3.       Ease of use, flexibility, reliability and stability.  I have not had a bad experience yet with a SolarWinds product.

Keep up the great work guys (and gals)!  The work that you do makes a real difference to those of us that have to keep the systems running smoothly day after day.

THANKS!!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

RandyBrown - My apologies for the delay here, I was attending the JiveWorld conference all last week.  This is a fantastic review to come back to and we thank you for sharing your story with us and everyone else.  Be sure to come back with an update once you've had a chance to work with the IPAM product. 

0 Kudos
Level 12

Shared via LinkedIn...

Welcome, Randy!  LinkedIn - Mozilla Firefox_2012-10-25_11-25-48.jpg

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Most excellent!  I've added another 300 points to your profile.  Thanks for sharing your story!

Level 9

We are using NPM currently and are looking to possibly add IPAM and NCM to the mix.

1.  When I came on earlier this year, we had just gotten Solarwinds but had not fine tuned it yet.  I began adding UPS and environmental sensors in addition to network and server equipment.  We were able to narrow down an issue we were having in the data center to an energy drain occurring during hot days by looking at the environmental and UPS charts.

2.  We have been using Solarwinds since April.  They were using another product to monitor network gear but I was not around when they made the transition.  I do know that the other product was not monitoring the environmental and UPS systems which helped in finding a solution for the issue in 1.

3.  From what I understand, the decision was made to go to Solarwinds because of price, and ability to add products to the suite in the future.

I'd like to see some changes to the SNMP monitoring to have an active alarm display, for example on a UPS.

I'm looking forward to expanding our capability as we have a Cisco UCS and are moving to a VM environment.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

mshartung - We are a cost-efficient solution and the flexibility for growth is definitely there.  I also hope you're enjoying the community as an outlet to get your requests heard by the teams here and other community members.

You've earned 1,200 points.  Thank you for sharing your story!  If you share your store via the social media icons above or on other forums or websites, please link us there.  It'll earn you another 300 points per share!

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi Michael,

We are currently using NPM and APM (SAM).

1.  We are using the applications to monitor our network infrastructure and some applications such as DHCP and DNS.  We also use NPM to monitor our phone system.  It has helped us troubleshoot phone system issues when the system itself is not showing any alarms.  The solution has been very helpful in displaying all network gear that is down so we can narrow down our troubleshooting.

2.  I don't know what we were using prior to a Solarwinds solution.  I have been here for 4 1/2 years and we have been using Solarwinds the whole time.

3.  I'm not sure what led to the ultimate decision to go with Solarwinds but I find it to be easy to use, effective, and is a great monitoring tool to have in the arsenal.  I like the fact that I can customize displays to show the information that I need to do my job.  Another nice feature is that you can provide various access to users and customize the display to suit their needs.  Having the Thwack website available to users is also beneficial.  It lets me see what others are doing and has helped me do some things that I probably would not have been aware of otherwise.

-Gary

Level 8

Hi MTorok,

We are currently using NPM, NCM, IPAM, NTA, IPSLA, and APM.

1.  We had some temperature issues in a few of our branch offices so we purchased some temp pagers and using custom pollers, we now get alerts when the temp rises above my set threshold.  Also helped resolve some application performance issues using the app templates that are available.

2.  We've used SolarWinds for as long as I've been administering it.  Not sure what we used prior.

3.  See answer 2 🙂

SolarWinds is a great product that has a ton of functionality and allows me to be as creative as I want to be.  It's ease of use allows me to set things up quickly without being too time consuming.

Great products guys

Kevin

0 Kudos