Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 11

Solarwinds is a life saver

1. What industry is your company in?

We are a non-profit in the retail industry

1. How large is your IT shop? (Small (1-250 elements); Medium (251 – 2000 elements); Large (2001 to 10000 elements); Extra-large (greater than 10,000 elements)

I would say we are a large shop. We have almost 80 remote locations, Corporate office and a large distribution center. Over 2000 elements total.

1. Which SolarWinds product are you writing this review for?

We own NPM, SAM, NCM, IPAM, VNQM, NTA and UDT. What I use the most and can't live without though is NCM.

1. What problem were you trying to solve when you purchased?

With the 80 remote location until about 1 year ago we had only one Network Admin. I had to manage all 80 routers and switches that have about 4 ACLs each. We also run BGP, OSPF and EIGRP. Yes a very complex network and a lot to do and manage. With NCM we are able to know deploy new ACLs using a config change template and custom properties to all stores with a few clicks. Something that would take days for a minor change now takes minutes.

1. Did you consider options other than SolarWinds? Who?

I would never consider anything else. I am not sure what it was called but another company we partnered with mentioned something they moved to from Solarwinds and I looked into it but it was nowhere near the capabilities of Solarwinds.

1. How are you using the product and what benefits have you seen?

The biggest benefit of NCM is how much time it saves us. When we are doing updates the vendor will ask if we have a backup, never have to worry about that again, it does it every night. We can see config changes that happen live, we are running policy reports for security and we have custom reports for config checks of our custom config. As mentioned above though the biggest benefit is that have being able to make config changes to multiple devices at one time with either the config change templates or just created a script on the fly to change one thing throughout the environment.

0 Kudos
0 Replies