cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

SolarWinds or Network surprises

I've implemented and used SolarWinds in 2 very different environments, so I'm going to answer for both, since it would be relevant to many different types of business.

Business C (for church)

1. What industry is your company in?
    1. My first implementation of Solarwinds was for a larger church.
  2. How large is your IT shop? (Small (1-250 elements); Medium (251 – 2000 elements); Large (2001 to 10000 elements); Extra-large (greater than 10,000 elements)
    1. I'd call this business a medium need. We had 500 users across 10 campus buildings (remote locations included) and about 30 servers total. With the diversity of the organization we had a large number of switch closets, routers and wireless access points.
  3. Which SolarWinds product are you writing this review for?
    1. Originally I implemented Network Performance Monitor, but later added Configuration Manager as well.
  4. What problem were you trying to solve when you purchased?
    1. There were 3 major problems we were trying to solve
      1. Proactive monitoring so that we would be notified of issues rather than reacting to customer complaints
      2. Bandwidth awareness for remote site quality
      3. Wireless load mapping and monitoring for best user experience
  5. Did you consider options other than SolarWinds? Who?
    1. Yes, the business originally had What's Up Gold
  6. How are you using the product and what benefits have you seen?
    1. With Solarwinds I found that I had better visibility into the products that I was monitoring. For example we used Ruckus Wireless and Solarwinds has the ability to pull much of the "dashboard" type statistics and give us a single pane of glass to watch the traffic flow. Setting up Solarwinds was easy and customizing was something I could do without digging into code or a lot of "building."
    2. With Solarwinds I found the community information of great assistance

Business H (for health care)

What industry is your company in?

1. Currently I work with a company that provides IT services to a Hospital
  1. How large is your IT shop? (Small (1-250 elements); Medium (251 – 2000 elements); Large (2001 to 10000 elements); Extra-large (greater than 10,000 elements)
    1. Our monitoring here falls into the Extra-large - We monitor all interfaces on about 200 switches, applications on about 200 servers and support almost 2000 users.
  2. Which SolarWinds product are you writing this review for?
    1. Network Performance Monitor is our base, but we also use SAM, WPM, DPA, NTA and SRA
  3. What problem were you trying to solve when you purchased?
    1. With such a large network we need proactive monitoring
    2. We also support several third party applications and equipment provided by vendors - this caused the need for NetPath and NTA to find the source of problems
  4. Did you consider options other than SolarWinds? Who?
    1. When I came on we had just started using SolarWinds, but also had an install of Dell's OMNM
  5. How are you using the product and what benefits have you seen?
    1. SolarWinds support has been fantastic - quick, professional and proficient
    2. Thwack has been a fantastic resource for answers, tips and configuration needs
    3. The extensible nature of the product is very nice as we have grown and added several products since the original installation and it has always been pretty painless.
    4. NetPath has already saved us considerable time in identifying root causes and less pointing fingers
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies