cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

How is SWSD different from WHD?

Jump to solution

How is SolarWinds Service Desk different from Web Help Desk?

Can SolarWinds provide a comparison matrix between the two offerings?

Is there potential to migrate from WHD to SWSD for those who are interested?  Or will SWSD have to be a whole new setup?

I don't know about my colleagues or if I've been out of touch with the forum, but I did not see this coming nor do I recall any sort of product pre-sales announcement or preview information by SolarWinds, there was just some announcement like this one that SWSD was here.

I've cross posted this in the WHD forum as well to get some feedback from those currently using WHD like my organization.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 8

I think you may have gotten the answers to many of the questions based on the post thread, but I wanted to add a bit more to be complete.

We have published a comparison on our website to help give a better high-level view of the differences.  For nuanced questions, you will want to contact our sales team.  The comparison is here: Service Desk vs Web Help Desk Software Comparison | Web Help Desk

We do not have an automated migration path today but will be offering migration services that will vary from customer to customer.  As many on-premises to SaaS migrations go, there will be some amount of initial setup that we have optimized with our on-boarding experience.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Level 8

I think you may have gotten the answers to many of the questions based on the post thread, but I wanted to add a bit more to be complete.

We have published a comparison on our website to help give a better high-level view of the differences.  For nuanced questions, you will want to contact our sales team.  The comparison is here: Service Desk vs Web Help Desk Software Comparison | Web Help Desk

We do not have an automated migration path today but will be offering migration services that will vary from customer to customer.  As many on-premises to SaaS migrations go, there will be some amount of initial setup that we have optimized with our on-boarding experience.

View solution in original post

This is a great move. I work for a company that has N-Able products and support isn't up to the typical SolarWinds products. I'd love to see them all here.

yumdarling​ are you accomplishing things already - remember, set the bar low or they will expect a lot out of you.

Level 9

SWSD is an SAAS whereas WHD is on premise

0 Kudos
Level 12

Just a heads up, Loop1 Systems Inc. has been partnered with SolarWinds and offering Web Help Desk as a SaaS very successfully for years.

Level 10

Yes, but is that the only difference?  Are there features that SWSD offers beyond what WHD does?

0 Kudos

At a glance this is what I could find.

SolarWinds Service Desk vs Web Help Desk - 2019 Feature and Pricing Comparison

Also,

Frequently Asked Questions | Support FAQ | Service Desk

Help Desk Ticketing Software - Asset Management | SolarWinds

Part of the trouble comparing feature sets between products is that superficially they may both "support" a feature but the specifics of how they did it may vary widely in terms of ease of use and the limitations around a feature. I'd expect that at some point once SW sales has some time to work with the implementation team formerly from Samanage they will cook up some comparisons between the two products, but it's probably going to be very 10,000 foot view and any meaningful comparison would probably require you to set up a real demo of the products side by side. 

If your current WHD setup is doing the job for you there may not be a pressing need to flip it over and start again.  Setting up a new service desk tool is always a big undertaking and there's a real opportunity cost in redoing what you have and then retraining everyone on the new procedures.  But if there are some specific gaps you are looking to address then I'd just shoot a list of them over to your account rep so they can do the leg work of figuring out if the new product addresses them or not.

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos
Level 9

I think the biggest difference is the built-in Asset discovery/management. Most Help Desk/Service Desk needs to integrate a separate asset discovery tool. It also has a live chat feature which is pretty interesting.

0 Kudos

But WHD has Asset discovery/management.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Just heard from my SW rep. A little concerning to me that this was news to them as well, seems the announcement came top down from their CEO. More to come, I guess...

0 Kudos

Came here to ask this exact question.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Agree. I am curious about the differences, and potential migration path.

Following to gather more information as it is posted.

0 Kudos
Level 10

I've reached out to my SolarWinds rep to find out what's going on as I was about to renew our Web Help Desk licenses. Typically vendors give a heads up of their new product offerings, but this announcement seems all so sudden. Don't know if SolarWinds meant for it that way.  As soon as I receive more information on it I'm more than willing to share.

0 Kudos

They only acquired Samanage like a month or two ago, honestly I was a bit surprised they were able to flip it into their catalog so quickly, but being SaaS they may have just needed to rebrand some logos and pick up right where it was.

I would expect that unless you are ready for a forklift service desk replacement you may be fine to just continue to use the existing WHD you have.  If you are actually interested in trying something completely new and are into the SaaS model then it might be a good idea to contact the implementation team and see how the new product could work for you.  I would be very surprised if there is really going to be a "migration path" of any type put together as this product seems to be pretty significantly different from how WHD worked.  Looks like more of the modern ITIL centric approach built directly into it from the start.

- Marc Netterfield, Github