This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What happens if Serv-U looses ODBC database connection?

Hi

I was thinking about migrating our Serv-U FTP server's user database from the normal "Domain Users" file, to a MSSQL2012 database.

My concern is what will happen if the database for some reason goes offline.

Will users still be able to log in?

And if so, how - via. local cached DB?

Thanks for your help emoticons_happy.png

• Serv-U does not cache information about users from the DB.  If the DB goes down, users will not be able to login to Serv-U until it comes back online.

• Thanks for the reply!

Is there anyway to assure continued operation, like a failover / fail safe ?

Best regards,

Kasper

• Serv-U will continue to authenticate against other sources when the DB is down.  The order in which Serv-U check for users is 1) local users, 2) ODBC users, 3) Windows Authentication, 4) LDAP users, 5) Integration DLL users.  You would need a mechanism for replicating your users within one of these other sources.  I'm not sure how feasible that would be.  Even if you did do this, you would end up with data that's no in sync (statistical information is stored with the users so any downtime of the DB where Serv-U uses another source instead would result in stale/inaccurate data in the DB).

In general, when Serv-U is configured to do authentication against a DB, the DB has to be up for it to be used.

• Awesome!

Thank you very much for that in-depth reply, you've been very helpful!