cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Reset or Recover Local Admin password

Jump to solution

I know we can set a password to Serv-U via "Change Admin Password" function under Limits & Settings > Settings tab.  admin_pwd.png

My question is, what happens if the original admin leaves and didn't document the password and the new admin wanted to change it.  Is there a way to recover it or to change it without having the original password?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

There's no way to recover a lost password, but you can reset it by altering the archive file.   Essentially what you need to do is 1) shut down Serv-U, 2) isolate the section of the Serv-U archive file that contains this setting (a second computer is handy for this), 3) set that section back to the original default values and 4) restart Serv-U.   As always, backup early, backup often.

PM me if you're stuck - I used to work for the company that wrote Serv-U and may have done this once or twice before.   

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Are you a Certified File Transfer Professional (CFTP) yet?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies

There's no way to recover a lost password, but you can reset it by altering the archive file.   Essentially what you need to do is 1) shut down Serv-U, 2) isolate the section of the Serv-U archive file that contains this setting (a second computer is handy for this), 3) set that section back to the original default values and 4) restart Serv-U.   As always, backup early, backup often.

PM me if you're stuck - I used to work for the company that wrote Serv-U and may have done this once or twice before.   

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Are you a Certified File Transfer Professional (CFTP) yet?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 12

I don't think you'd be able to recover it easily.  I think it's probably 1-way hashed.

You'd probably have to hack the archive format.

0 Kudos