This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Let's Encrypt & Serv-U

Does anyone know if let's encrypt works with Serv-u? I am new to Lets's encrypt and my current SSL certificate expires in September.  If it does can someone please send me some instructions on how I might implement this? Thanks in advance

• Hi lneibauer​,

I can confirm that a Let's Encrypt certificate will work with Serv-U, however you would usually run through some OpenSSL or some other tool to generate a private key and self-signed certificate for your local server.

Luckily for you, you can use the certificate tool within Serv-U to create a self-signed certificate and private key instead of generating them yourself, here's a guide to run you through this: Creating A Self-Signed Certificate In Serv-U

After you have your self-signed certificate and private key you'll need to get the Let's Encrypt certificate to verify and trust yours so you can then put it into Serv-U. The last section on the Serv-U article link I sent you mentions the usual process you'll be aiming upload the CSR from your certificate to Let's Encrypt who should then provide you the certificates back with their authenticated certificates.

It's both simple and complicated at the same time, until you've done it once it will seem difficult. I would recommend researching about working with certificate authorities and the general understanding of certificates.

Also, you should be using a minimum of SHA-256 (2048 key length) as browsers no longer deem anything lower as secure.

-Midnight