This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to restrict sending user email address for Serv-U MFT file sharing

Good afternoon,

We purchased and installed the 15.0 Serv-U product with the MFT gateway.  It's working great.  I've been testing the Send Files feature through the file sharing GUI and have some questions/issues related to sender email addresses.

I currently have Windows authentication turned on so that you can log into the web page with your domain credentials.  However when it does this it populates the name field with your login (username@domain.org) rather than your full name.  It also leaves the sender email fields blank. But not only does it leave them blank it allows you to put any sender SMTP address in there so essentially you can 'spoof' sending on behalf of someone else.  I'd really prefer users can only send as themselves.

So the questions are:

1.  How to pre-populate the sender info?  Do I need to do LDAP instead of Windows auth?

2.  How can you enforce it so that you can only send a "you" and not spoof someone else?

Thanks,

Casey

• Nevermind - I see from the Feature Request area that this appears to be a common request/complaint.

• Pulling the email address from Windows Auth is a common feature request.  If the effort to migrate isn't too great for you, you could use LDAP instead as that authentication method will pull in the information and prepopulate it for you.  Since AD runs on LDAP, the effort shouldn't be too much unless you're making extensive use of groups in Serv-U for your Windows Auth setup.  If so, you would need to re-create the groups for LDAP in Serv-U.

I don't believe we've received a feature for this second item.  If it's important to you, you may want to submit it on the feature request board.

• Yes, changed to LDAP and it populates those fields now.  Now I'm trying to wrap my head around LDAP group based permissions.  Since it appears you can only turn file sharing on/off globally for a domain it would be nice to let's say lock general users into their home directory but allow our IT group to navigate anywhere.  Every time I try to add an LDAP group it says something about all LDAP users being a member.  Just need to figure it out.