This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to create an email with log on credentials when a user is created

Hi All, Was curious if Serve U can create an email to the FTP Site (user) that a site has been created with username and password. Right now the workflow is:

-a request comes to technology to create an FTP site

-Tech goes to GUI and under Users creates a user based on Template settings.

-Tech copies user name and password to Word Doc Template

-Tech Creates PDF of word doc template which contains FTP instructions and user and password information for the requested site

-Tech also copies user name and password into an excel document for further reference.

Was hoping there was a way to capture this type of workflow but by having the system email the requestor the required information. Then if a password is lost we can resend to the requestor via the email we would input when we originally created the user.

Thanks all for the help

• I'll take the easy one first.  It's "Serv-U" not "Serve U".  emoticons_silly.png

I really see two issues here:

1. Can I automate the sending of the initial sign on instructions?
    2. Can I automate resetting or resending passwords?

#1: In terms of automating the initial sign on instructions, there's a lot to like about your current procedure.  Many companies simply hand over username, password, protocol, hostname and port and say "you figure it out," but it sounds as if you've taken the time to give your users much more than that.   You could use the "Used Added" event at the domain level (requires Serv-U MFT Server) to send an email with a "send email" action, or trigger a command-line driven template merge using a script (both methods would use Serv-U variables like $Name to populate the content), but like I said, your copy/paste to a PDF isn't a bad procedure.

#2: I'd take a look at Serv-U's password reminder feature for this if your end users can use the Web Client.  To turn this on, go to your domain "Limits & Settings," pull up your "Password" Limit Type and override the "Allows users to recover passwords" limit (e.g., "create a limit") with a value of "Yes."  Then override the "Password encryption mode" with a value of "two way encryption."

• Thanks for the response. So I got most of what I wanted to have happen based of of your info. We now have it so when an authorized FTP creator creates an account, they place there own email in the account creation. This way when a Sales person requests for a client account to get the log in info, we just click on the client and recover password. This way the log in info and FTP instructions are sent in the email and tech just forward's to sales or whoever is requesting info.

So, what I am trying to do is in the Template create an event when we Recover Password, to send an email to FTP admin when this even happens. Problem is, the event when it occurs is not firing in realtime. When I create the event and Test, the email sends... not when the event is triggered. What am I missing?