cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Edit Serv-u.Archive

Hi,

Is there a document describing the file format of the Serv-U.Archive file?

-Mark

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

I have some experience with this replicating configurations across machines with minor differences (bindings, certs, etc.)  If you do try to edit the file...

1) Give yourself a big chunk of uninterrupted time

2) Make sure Serv-U is not running, and that you've made a very good backup

3) Build yourself a work directory for your configurations

4) To figure out what change you need to make, take before-and-after snapshots of the archive file which you make the change you are interested in from the Serv-U administration console

5) Plan to repeat and retest your changes with each new version of Serv-U

6) Consider writing a script to automate your changes on future configuration files

The structure of the file is a bit obtuse, but if you zero in on elemental chunks, you might begin to see the pattern. For example, this...

CListenSocketConf
ListenSocketConf

CRhinoUintAttr

Port

Val

<<- Port

<<- ListenSocketConf

...basically translates into this: 

new ClistenSocketConf ListenSocketConf(0,0,1, new CRhinoUintAttr Port(1,1,new Val(1021))

...and tells Serv-U to listen on port 1021, among other things.  (You'd need to figure out the meaning of the other switches using step #4 above.)

Level 8

Hi Jonathan,

I agree with the file format. So, taking what I think I have learned from your post the following might be...

CRhinoStringAttr

ODBCSource

Val

FTPMSSQL

<<- ODBCSource

ODBCSource ->  new ODBCSource (new CRhinoStringAttr("ODBCSource"), 1, 1, new Val("FTPMSSQL"))

0 Kudos
Level 11

The archive file is not intended to be user editable so the format of it is not documented anywhere.  What are you looking to do?  Perhaps there's another way besides editing the file directly.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I am using the Linux version of Serv-U.  It would be a value to us if we were able to build deployment scripts that can configure and setup our FTP server.  Some reasons behind this logic.  The script becomes the document for how the FTP server is setup and becomes reproducible in the event that the server should be rebuilt.  The script can be version controlled and managed for changes.  Although we plan to ensure our configuration files are backed up.   Using documentation files do not always stay in sync with the actual setup of the ftp server.  Another reason to know is there was one time where a mistaken configuration change made in the web admin which disabled access to the web admin.   The only way to recover the FTP web administration was to fix it by editing the configuration file.

Another alternative would be command line tools for configuring the ftp server.

0 Kudos