cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 21

Does Serv-U Encrypt the Files?

Jump to solution

I am looking for a solution to help our clients with File Transfers and I am curious if Serv-U actually encrypts the specific files before they are transferred?  Specifically I am looking for encryption at rest, not in-transfer.  I need to know that once my client downloads the file that they will then need to decrypt the file.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Serv-U itself does NOT encrypt/decrypt files on the fly.  However, you can pair Serv-U with Microsoft EFS or third-party disk encryption systems (I've paired it with Sophos SafeGuard) to get automatic disk encryption.  However, if you're regulated be sure to check with your auditor before settling on a solution - I've seen opinions vary on this topic.

(My old colleague "bshopp" also briefly covered this in a product blog a few years ago: File Sharing - Protecting and Controlling Your Data )

-- Jonathan Lampe, CFTP, CISSP

"Are you a Certified File Transfer Professional (CFTP) yet?"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Serv-U itself does NOT encrypt/decrypt files on the fly.  However, you can pair Serv-U with Microsoft EFS or third-party disk encryption systems (I've paired it with Sophos SafeGuard) to get automatic disk encryption.  However, if you're regulated be sure to check with your auditor before settling on a solution - I've seen opinions vary on this topic.

(My old colleague "bshopp" also briefly covered this in a product blog a few years ago: File Sharing - Protecting and Controlling Your Data )

-- Jonathan Lampe, CFTP, CISSP

"Are you a Certified File Transfer Professional (CFTP) yet?"

View solution in original post

Level 21

Thanks for the info, I will be sure to run any ideas by our auditors first.

0 Kudos