Unable to ping from command prompt on main orion poller

I'm running Solarwinds npm 12.4 and ipam 4.8.1 on a win 2016 server.  I have this weird issue where all of a sudden I can't ping from the command prompt.  It says it's going to ping but it never shows any replies or failures.  It clears up when I reboot.  I'm assuming it's some kind of windows resource limitation but I can't find anything when I google.

• I've run in to this as well and just posted:  IPAM 4.8.1 Polling Issues?

Here's what I've noticed - the ping process on the server dies entirely.  Look at your "Scan job status"

(Settings / All Settings / IPAM Settings / View Scan Job Status)

My guess is that you will see a bunch of subnets with very high Status (Started: 680 minutes ago) etc

This shouldn't be this way.  If you stop your services, ping will work on your server. 

If you do a search on this site for 4.8.1, you'll see many people are having this problem. 

This is why I don't want IPAM running on the same system as my NPM.  Check to make sure your NPM is working as well.  If PING isn't working, NPM might not actually be working either.

• Thanks for the advice. I ended up having to kill IPAM all together, but once I removed my DNS and DHCP servers and all the scans cleared, I was able to ping and noticed my server performing operations much faster. I am planning a rebuild on Hyper-V in a few weeks, and I think i will just place IPAM on a separate server as well.

TinyElvis