This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monthly Windows Patching of Pollers

Wanted to reach out and find out how others are performing the process for monthly patches for the SolarWinds Pollers. We have four pollers and have tried to follow some basic steps for patching the pollers, i.e stopping all Orion Services and setting the services to disabled while the patches and reboots are applied. We then bring up the main Orion server and follow through with the remaining pollers. We have attempted this process for the past two months and continue to struggle with the pollers requiring the manual run of the configuration wizard to restore services.@

• This is an excellent question. I have 4 SW boxes, the primary SW server, a SW SQL server, a SW flat file server and a secondary poller. The update/restart procedure could be critical to "efficiently" maintaining these servers. I know the Configuration Wizard is almost magical, but a good procedure will save a lot of time.

Currently I:

• Backup up the SQL
    • Shut down all services on the primary and secondary Poller
    • Apply patches to all 4 servers
    • Power off all 4 servers - they are all VMs
    • Power on in this order - SQL - Flat file - Primary - Secondary
    • Check that all services start on both pollers
  • There are services other than the main poller services that can be running and cause things to not return to service properly. I'd make sure everything on the services list is actually stopped manually as some things aren't stopped with "Stop all services".

• I have used Solarwinds products for several years and only had the teams doing the patching reboot the servers when they were done. I just had them schedule the patches in chunks on different evenings so the whole system didn't go down at once. I never had a problem.