This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Link multiple problems to one incident

It appears that it is only possible to link one problem to an incident.  Most other links seem to allow for a many to many link, for example many incidents can be linked to one problem, many configuration items can be linked to a change, etc.

We have situations where we use an incident to ask the person within the department that does purchasing to order equipment, and if I'm trying to bundle a request for multiple failed items that each have their own associated problem I can't link all those problems to the incident that I create requesting the equipment be ordered.

• What you're describing seems to be the opposite of ITIL, which I believe is SW's intent.  Multiple incidents link to a problem, but multiple problems cannot link to an incident.  Incident Management Process feeds into the Problem Management process.  If you're doing multiple purchases then you would like the incidents/requests to the Purchase Order, not the problems.

If you're unfamiliar with ITIL, I suggest reviewing the Service Operations lifecycle, which go into more detail on the inputs and outputs of Incident, problem, and request fulfillment processes.

I hope that helps clarify!